We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus minor "Douglas Bank"  (Read 2248 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Narcissus minor "Douglas Bank"
« on: January 08, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
A few years ago I purchased bulbils of this sweet little Narcissus at a Discussion Weekend.  Since I use a picture of it in one of my talks I thought I ought to find out more about it.  Google has only one entry where the name is connected to N. (its a Forum reference ofcourse) and that simply mentions that it has a Scottish connection. I thought it might come from a garden of that name but so far all I can come up with is a cemetry in Fife or the RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland in Castle Douglas ???.  Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:51:32 PM by shelagh »
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Narcissus minor "Douglas Bank"
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »
Shelagh, Douglasbank was the name of the home of Willie Buchanan , a well known SRGC Member and gardener.One of the Discussion Weekend Lectures is named to honour him... the Buchanan Lecture.  I think there's an article about him and/or the narcissus in a Rock Garden Journal.... I'll check that out for you.
M
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:39:13 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »
A few years ago I purchased bulbils of this sweet little Narcissus at a Discussion Weekend.  Since I use a picture of it in one of my talks I thought I ought to find out more about it.  Google has only one entry where the name is connected to N. (its a Forum reference ofcourse) and that simply mentions that it has a Scottish connection. I thought it might come from a garden of that name but so far all I can come up with is a cemetry in Fife or the RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland in Castle Douglas ???.  Can anyone help?

Shelagh, try googling with the name Douglasbank (as one word).  You will get more hits, including one from the old forum with a message from Sandy and the reference to Buchanan.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/8/128.html
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 02:46:33 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:47:23 PM »
Diane is quite correct, the name is Douglasbank. There is a wee piece about William Buchanan, in the SRGC " Rock Gardening in the 20th Century" book.
This  is  from the  SRGC  book "Scottish Gardening in  the  20th Century" .....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:05:25 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
Shelagh, just a short search of Douglasbank on the Forum gives 5 hits within a few seconds ;)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal