We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pond problem  (Read 567 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Pond problem
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
Now all the snow has melted, I was looking at my pond today and noticed I have something that looks like a slight film of oil on the surface.  I'm wondering if it may be from the sandstone rocks around it?  Anyway, however it has arisen from, I need to get rid of it and if anyone has any experience of how I can do this without completely emptying the pond (I have a large colony of newts that live in it), I'd be most grateful.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Pond problem
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:27:55 PM »
I'd start with a low tech approach : may not be so easy , depending on surface area of the pond, tohugh. I'd try to spread newspaper,  three or so pages thick, across the surface... lay it on lightlty and as soon as the water starts to soak in, remove the paper. Do it in sections, trying not to disturb the surface of the water  too much as you go. If the oilyness is only a thin layer that should soak it up without releasing any nasties from the newsprint.
 I've just had a new oven door delivered (glass outer exploded the other evening just as David, 'Dr Rock' was here for his supper before our SRGC Meeting!) - it's been packed with large quantities of crumpled unbleached paper... perfect for your task if you could get it.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Pond problem
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
Thanks Maggi.  Its not very big at all.  And I've got some brown packaging paper, maybe I'll try that.  Whoops, sorry 'bout your oven sounds like it was quite a dinner!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal