We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Online social networking systems.... Twitter and the like  (Read 3302 times)

Great Moravian

Re: Online social networking systems.... Twitter and the like
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
Colin, there are other sides and uses to Facebook than washing dirty linen in public. I use it as a convenient way to keep in contact with friends in Maryland and California, with family when abroad, and find it a very easy way to share photographs etc. Also it is a very convenient way to keep up to date with what is on offer at our local and national theatres, keep up to date with local news etc.
All the activities are possible without facebooks, twitters etc. The convenience is the danger I spoke about.
You certainly don't use different identities for different activities.
Josef N.
gardening in Brno, Czechoslovakia
---
Krieg, Handel und Piraterie, dreieinig sind sie, nicht zu trennen
War, business and piracy are triune, not to separate
Goethe

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
If folks want to use these things then that is fine and I would fight for their right to do so, where I get worried is when employers start using these networks for recruitment or vetting potential employees. This discriminates against those of us who can actually still think for ourselves without computer help or input from our 'networks' ...  But then maybe employers don't want folks who can think - sheep are easier to manage.
Working as I do for a large company my role as shepherd is not a happy one at present.   Employers really should be looking for people who can think - at least they usually have something constructive to say - sheep just bleat a lot and are not (in my experience) easy to manage :(  Unfortunately I have little control over hiring and firing - my job is more flock control ::)

Darren

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 08:33:01 AM »
And the other thing that annoys me is the assumption that everyone who matters is also on twitter or facebook. It's the same with the internet in general. Traders and banks are doing their best to make sure the ONLY option you have is to do things online, I know plenty of folk who don't have a computer, or want one, or see the point of the expense and hassle, who are being effectively discriminated against as the more traditional ways of doing things are removed (witness post office closures and the proposed withdrawal of personal cheques).
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:45 PM »
Just got a note to tell me my sister has joined facebook,that is an enormously large increase in their membership
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 11:19:11 PM »
I emailed my various overseas publishers today with a scan of the cover of my new book The Facebook Addict's Survival Guide and telling them I'll be mailing sample copies to them tomorrow, and got an email back from my Hungarian publisher saying they want to publish on the basis of the cover and the idea alone before even seeing the whole book, and my Finnish publisher also came straight back very enthusiastic about it. Both of them are on Facebook, which may have helped. Fingers crossed that it carries on like this.  :)
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 09:57:13 AM »
sister enormously large

Tony, you can't say things like that anymore. Sky employees have been sacked for less. ;D

Meanwhile Murdoch gets away with any mahem he cares to get involved in.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
Congratulations, Martin!!  Well done.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »

Thanks Paul. I know it's me blowing my own trumpet a bit, but that's the first time in 20 years of publishing my cartoon books that I've had an overseas publisher agree to license a book purely on the basis of the cover, without seeing the actual book or what's in it. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it might sell a copy or three.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
More power to your elbow, Martin!  :D

The horticultural trade is getting behind the Twitter message, it seems: http://www.hortweek.com/news/bulletin/dailybulletin/article/1050195/?DCMP=EMC-CONHorticultureWeekBulletin

What is that cynical voice inside me that says they won't be so enthusiastic when their customers can complain via Twitter for others to see?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »

Thanks Paul. I know it's me blowing my own trumpet a bit, but that's the first time in 20 years of publishing my cartoon books that I've had an overseas publisher agree to license a book purely on the basis of the cover, without seeing the actual book or what's in it. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it might sell a copy or three.

Congratulations! That must be a nice feeling :)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »

The horticultural trade is getting behind the Twitter message, it seems: http://www.hortweek.com/news/bulletin/dailybulletin/article/1050195/?DCMP=EMC-CONHorticultureWeekBulletin

What is that cynical voice inside me that says they won't be so enthusiastic when their customers can complain via Twitter for others to see?

Easy access to customers? Great! Be careful what you ask for  ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:23 AM »
Extract from a telephone conversation with my brother last night.

Him: Are you on the Facebook thingy.
Me: No it's not really my bag.
Him: I joined because the kids told me to as it was a good way for them to send me photos of the grandchildren. Thing was I'd only been joined a couple of days and I'd had two pictures of nubile naked young ladies wanting to be my friend.
Me: Hope you saved 'em.
Him: June (his wife) made me get rid of them. I wanted to send them both a photo of me in the buff but June wouldn't take one- she said it might frighten the horses- and I couldn't sort out the camera to take one of myself.

Such are the wonders of technology ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 06:02:37 AM »
David,
you'll need to send them a copy of Martin's book when it comes out ;D
Maybe he can use that story in the second edition? ;D ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal