We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: pot grown V freshly lifted  (Read 1424 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
pot grown V freshly lifted
« on: February 15, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
The best snowdrops, by far, that I bought at the Garden House and Gala were the pot grown plants sold by Avon Bulbs and Wol & Sue Staines.Well done! I hope others follow.

I asked another seller, of Narcissus cyclamineus, if the plants were pot grown. He was a liar

I'm digusted at the seller who must have prized apart two flowering bulbs, before they had naturally split, in order to double the profit.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
Re: pot grown V freshly lifted
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:25 PM »
Hello Mark

What do you mean
one bulb in one pot grown
and sold in that pot
or do you mean bulbs grown in pots
and the soil shaken off
and sold with a little potting soil
so the roots don't dry out

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
most sellers have dug their snowdrop and put them singly in pots of compost or in a plastic bag with some moss or compost
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »
Although I believe Wol and Sue's are actually grown in pots, not lifted and potted up just before the show. I have to agree, their snowdrops are superb quality.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »
I sold in pots for many years and do prefer it, is much better/easier to display the plants for a start.

but I have some sympathy for the single bulb in a bag method, some of my pots would often contain more than 1 bulb , since they were potted a year before selling a small offset would sometimes flower and could be split, so I thought I should really be charging double, something three times but that seemed greedy & then they just wouldn't sell, so many left with a bargain.

if I was relying on making part of an income from sales that would be a difficult thing to see happening.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:26:04 AM »
Although I believe Wol and Sue's are actually grown in pots, not lifted and potted up just before the show. I have to agree, their snowdrops are superb quality.

Now that's the way to do it, good for them not taking the expedient route.  What poor bulb likes to be yanked out of the ground in leaf and flower?  (Pretty much a summary of JohnG's Chedworth CGS talk 2009)  Amazing we have survivors at all, enough to send those markings into hibernation.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »
John, Wol and Sue also do a dormant bulb  list in summer in addition to selling snowdrops growing and well-established in pots at flowering time, which is in my opinion the best of both worlds.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:06:41 AM »
John, Wol and Sue also do a dormant bulb  list in summer in addition to selling snowdrops growing and well-established in pots at flowering time, which is in my opinion the best of both worlds.

I know nobody better than Wol & sue for snowdrops.

You nearly always get a daughter bulb, the prices are reasonable and the plants are in superb health.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
John, Wol and Sue also do a dormant bulb  list in summer in addition to selling snowdrops growing and well-established in pots at flowering time, which is in my opinion the best of both worlds.

Agreed Martin.  Fresh dormant of course is the only way we can handle Galanthus here.  [In a country as big as Canada with such varied climates there's little chance of successfully shipping anything in the green west to east without freezing somewhere along the line. April seems to be the safest month.]  You also get a chance to thoroughly inspect the bulb and JohnG considers this #1 priority.

johnw

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:13:46 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal