We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Which Hebe is this ??  (Read 909 times)

newstart

Which Hebe is this ??
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »
Hi everyone ! I have this Hebe in my garden and it looks very familar. I looked on Hebe society data base but cannot work out which one it is.

Here is the photo-

Thanks!
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

majallison

Re: Which Hebe is this ??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 06:45:22 PM »
What colour were the flowers?  It looks a little like 'Autumn Glory'; problem with Hebes is they hybridize & seed very freely & also Dutch & Danish nurseries produce vast quantities & frequently send them into garden centres with a label that might say: Hebe Blue,
rather than any formally registered name.
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

newstart

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
Okay thanks. Thats good enough for me as I thought it might be autumn glory.

Much appreciated.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »
Funny, when I first went to England I went to Kew with a botanist working there.  I asked "What's that plant?" reply "it's a Hebe". We'd walk another 10 ft "what's that?", reply "it's a Hebe". We'd walk another 10 ft "what's that?", reply "it's a Hebe". Soon I realized if I didn't know a plant it was surely a Hebe.   Since then the question has been "Which Hebe is that?". No firms answers but lots of conjecture.

Glad you got a answer to this one!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

newstart

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »
yes I see what you mean. I looked on the net and had in the back of my mind in was an autumn glory one. The hebe society photo's sort of backe this up to. it often quite hard to know for sure though. The flowers are bluish purple with tinges of white if that helps.

thanks

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal