We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife March 2011  (Read 11388 times)

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
Re: Wildlife March 2011
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »
me neither, look like big beasties, Frogs and Toads are currently slowing my mowing down.

had a lovely display from 2 Red Kites today, hoping they set up home here now they've been roosting near the gardens for a week or so.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
I've seen oil beetles in Glen Etive. They are big beasties, and my memory says over an inch, but perhaps not? I would have said March was a bit early for them?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2011, 09:01:09 AM »
 We always see them here in March (Dorset) They are a bit bigger than an inch. You can help noticing them as they go about their lives on the lawns and rough grass.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:03:40 AM by emma T »
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »
WOW Emma they are  incredible,is there an explanation why they are called oil beetles?i would love find them in my garden,fantastic thank you for posting.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
Wow indeed! :o I suppose things happen much earlier in Dorset? You are lucky to have such a problem. They release an oily fluid which smells when they are disturbed.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

daveyp1970

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
Anthony i take it oil beetles are rare in the uk?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

daveyp1970

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
Emma have look at this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1369791/UKs-oil-beetle-Buglife-wants-seek-remaining-species.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
They are rare,as rare as hens teeth,or rocking horse manure.Sorry Anthony did a little research they are incredible beetles there life cycle is incredible,Emma you are so lucky.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2011, 11:54:52 AM »
http://www.buglife.org.uk/getinvolved/surveys/Oil+Beetle+Hunt/Oil+Beetle+hunt+-+Life+Cycle

I've never seen them either.... and at the size they are it shouldn't be hard to spot them!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

emma T

« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »
Ive always assumed everyone had them. Just of of those insects who turns up this time of year ,bit like may bugs.

Looked up years ago in my bug book to find what they were ,and really didn't think much more about them. Always moved them out of the way of the mower.

We have two work experience lads here at the moment and one of them found one and wanted to know a bi more about them so i googled them and came up with that bug life survey ( which i have filled in and sent off).

We are being extra careful not to run them over now we know they are so rare. I have seen at least 20 in the last 5 days. Mostly the very fat females.

The oil not only smells and (I'm guessing )tastes bad, it is also so caustic, hence the gloves.

They are big buggers  :o
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2011, 02:32:06 PM »
Never saw these beetles, very interesting.

Yesterday, I watched two dippers fishing at Mount Usher Gardens. An uncommon sight.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »
Attracting bumblebees to nest

Has anyone had bumblebees nest in the garden? Today I saw that most queens in the garden are collecting pollen which means I have failed again to get a queen bee to nest in my garden. I have two potential nest sites. One is a half buried clay pot on its side with the drainage hole at soil level. The other is a bought bumblebee nest box. Every year I see queens searching for nest sites. Following advice on the internet I have done four things that have failed
1. Catch and imprison a queen in the box for a few days. Each time I unplug the hole they come out and fly away
2. Get a smelly mouse nest from the pet shop and put it inside because "queens love the smell of a mouse. It failed.
3. Make a mouse tunnel using a piece of water pump hose. It doesn't work.
4. Plant flowers in the garden. I have and it doesn't work
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

emma T

« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »
Attracting bumblebees to nest

Has anyone had bumblebees nest in the garden? Today I saw that most queens in the garden are collecting pollen which means I have failed again to get a queen bee to nest in my garden. I have two potential nest sites. One is a half buried clay pot on its side with the drainage hole at soil level. The other is a bought bumblebee nest box. Every year I see queens searching for nest sites. Following advice on the internet I have done four things that have failed
1. Catch and imprison a queen in the box for a few days. Each time I unplug the hole they come out and fly away
2. Get a smelly mouse nest from the pet shop and put it inside because "queens love the smell of a mouse. It failed.
3. Make a mouse tunnel using a piece of water pump hose. It doesn't work.
4. Plant flowers in the garden. I have and it doesn't work

The bees here just nest in mouse holes or blue tit nest boxes. I have found them in a ball of moss before now, almost trod on them.

Maybe get more mice ?

emma T

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »
Never saw these beetles, very interesting.

Yesterday, I watched two dippers fishing at Mount Usher Gardens. An uncommon sight.

Paddy

We have had dippers on our stretch of the river Allen before now. Wonderful birds to watch. We also have swans,kingfishers, herons,water rails,moorhens, little egrets,ducks,tufted ducks ,teal. plus an otter,trout,grayling. Water voles, Water shrews, stoats, rabbits, hares, fallow deer ( these thankfully stay in the water meadows and don't come into the garden.

We also still have the native white clawed crayfish  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:16:08 PM by emma T »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal