We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris from Jammu Region  (Read 1076 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Iris from Jammu Region
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
On another garden site that I blog on, a member in Kashmir has collected seed of this iris in the forests of the Jammu region. The information that I have is that the leaves are a meter tall and that the rhizomes are less broad than those of Iris germanica. It is flowering now in the members garden. With any luck we may be in line for some 2nd generation seed.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Iris from Jammu Region
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:13:26 PM »
Palustris posted that photo in the Forum already, David.....http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=7314.msg202390;topicseen#msg202390 .... no answer to what it is yet, though.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:40:39 PM »
If it's as tall as that I'm wonderng about some close relative of I. orientalis. Not sure of the distribution of that species. It doesn't look quite like it - no yellow on the falls for instance - but worth a thought perhaps. It would always be helpful to see the foliage when trying to identify irises, and, indeed, the whole plant.

Now I've had a better look, there IS some yellow well into the haft it seems. So I would suggest I. orientalis or a species close to that. Spuria section anyway. Formally known as I. ochroleuca.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:47:54 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »
Your answere is very much the same as one from a bloger in Arizona, Lesley.
The internet is an amazing resource. Question originating in Kashmir is fielded in Scotland and gets answers from New Zealand and Arizona!
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal