We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dianthus alpinus ‘Joan’s Blood’ - Thank you Lesley Cox!  (Read 1364 times)

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
Hi Lesley, Do you recall a while back, (April 14th) I was “blubbing” about the fact that I couldn’t get this plant to flower?  :'(

Well, following your tip about giving it peat and fine crushed pine bark, I did just that!
I scrapped away the top layer of chippings, carefully removed some of the compost from around its neck and replaced with said mixture.  

Wow!...In a short time the leaves looked a healthy dark glossy green and buds appeared.
The photo was taken today – a cold wet windy day. Not a good photo, and quite a small plant but there are several more buds to open.

Thanks Lesley – that’s the best I have had it for many years. ;D
So watch this space next April and I will do my best to show you a much better one.
 8)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:58:28 PM by Lampwick »
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Dianthus alpinus ‘Joan’s Blood’ - Thank you Lesley Cox!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »
Well thank YOU! I'm delighted the mixture worked. I should have taken up medicine. Quite a responsibility to have someone follow one's suggestion. If the plant had died I would have had to hope a hole would open up and swallow me. :) Anyway, it does look very healthy so I hope all continues to be well.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal