We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Camellia impressinervis  (Read 2080 times)

hanninkj

• Homepage Ton Hannink
Camellia impressinervis
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
This camellia has large leaves and realy yellow flowers. I have waited at least 8 years before I had the first flowers.
I keep the plant in winter at 5 degrees Celsius.

Ton

ronm

Re: Camellia impressinervis
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
A real beauty. Did you grow this from seed?

ronm

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
And what is its origin please?

hanninkj

• Homepage Ton Hannink
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
No, I bought these kind of species in Japan. Most of them were grafted because cutting of a lot of Camellia species is not possible.

This species lives in China.

Here is an article about Camellia species, in the future I translate it in English: http://hanninkton.nl/Camellia_species.html

Ton

ronm

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Thank you so much Ton. When we lived in China, Camellias where everywhere but I never had the time to really get into them. This is a real cracker though. Will certainly follow up your lead. ;)

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:06:50 AM »
That is very pretty, Ton!

Do you happen to know if there are any yellow Camellia species that are hardy in Zone 8?
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

hanninkj

• Homepage Ton Hannink
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:49:06 AM »
@Peppa, it must be possible because in winter it is rather cold at the places were these Camellia's live. A friend has been there and he needed a warm coat when they visited the place in Vietnam.
The well known Camellia nursery in the USA has some species.
http://www.camforest.com/

Ton

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
This one is hardy in Zone 8 (here in NZ) but I don't know its name. The colour is a soft lemon yellow and is very lovely.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

hanninkj

• Homepage Ton Hannink
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »
This is very interseting. Please can you make a picture of a flower and a leaf. The leaf looks like nitidissima or impressinervis but the form of the flower is too open.

Ton

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »
I've tried but maybe not much use to you. The enlargement is very poor quality.

The original picture was taken in 2000 on a regular camera, pre-digital, and scanned about 5 years later. It was taken in a garden in Tauranga (east coast North Island) and I was able to get a few seeds. These germinated but I lost the seedlings when they became too dry. They weren't frosted here though. We get to about -3 to -6C. I went back to the same place about 3 years ago but the people had moved house and no-one knew anything about it. Nor were they willing to let me have either seeds or cutting material.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 03:45:44 AM »
Thanks for the info, Ton! I was going to order C. nitidissima var nitidissima from Nuccio's Nursery last year but I was concerned about its hardiness here... I bought several other nice camellias like 'Black Magic,' 'Grape Soda,' 'Lipstick,' 'Grand Marshal Variegated,' 'Tama Peacock', and a few others, though. It was very hard for me to narrow down the list of what I wanted. Now I wish I had gone ahead and ordered a C. nitidissima var nitidissima and some Higo Camellias...

Lesley, this is a very beautiful flower, too! It is too bad that the original tree is now unavailable... I wonder if this is one of the Japanese yellow hybrids that are being bred to increase their cold hardiness...
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 04:10:02 AM »
I have no idea Peppa. It had the "species" look about it, but that's probably not relevant. It was, I think, quite an old plant with the trunk at ground level about 15cms in diameter, and all the inner trunk and branches very lichened and gnarled-looking.

hanninkj

• Homepage Ton Hannink
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:53:19 PM »
Thank you for the information. It is a pity that such a beatiful Camellia is gone!
It looks more a crossing yellow x japonica.
Crossing japonica x yellow give more the leaves as japonica is my experience.

Ton

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal