We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Glenwhan Gardens  (Read 981 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Glenwhan Gardens
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
Glenwhan Gardens

Opening times: Easter to end of October; 1000-1700hrs.

Admission: Free to RHS members (selected months). Also accept BBC 2 for 1 voucher. Otherwise £4.50 (but season ticket and concessions available). Dogs welcome on a lead

Facilities: Licensed café and interesting plant sales.

Gardens: Extend to 12 acres plus a further 17 acres of wildflower walks. The garden focus is on a series of lakes. Spectacular rhododendrons many from collections from plant hunters including Peter Cox and family and Alan Clarke; wide range of habitats; good woodland walks with good selection of primulas, azaleas and meconopses; plenty of seats, statues and view points (cross to Isle of Man and Rhinns of Galloway).

The gardens were started just 30 years ago by Tessa Knott (and who still gardens). The lochans (small lakes ) were created by damming the boggy areas. It is full of winding paths and rocky outcrops. It has been featured many times on television, but has to be seen to be truly appreciated.

Information: free garden maps.

Contact details: www.glenwhangardens.co.uk
Telephone: 01581 400222

Henderson Rating: 4.3/5

Excellent garden showing what can be achieved on a relatively modest scale within 30 years. This is a garden to wander and wonder, taking time to stop and stare. The woodland and moorland walks are recommended. The reception/café staff are extremely friendly and helpful, accordingly the gardens are worth a visit at any time.

Glenwhan is very handy for Castle Kennedy Gardens (near Stranraer), Dunskey Gardens & Maze (Portpatrick) and on the Rhinns of Galloway, Ardwell Gardens, Logan Botanic Gardens and Logan House Gardens.

And now a few random shots...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:01:10 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Re: Glenwhan Gardens
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »
a few random shots...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:06:41 PM by Maggi Young »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »
Hear, hear, we visited when the rhododendrons were in full swing, it was magic.  I was staggered when Tessa told us that they had bought the property without even seeing it!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

angie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »
Wonderful place and to think I struggle with water lilies, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what they had.

Tessa gave a talk to us in Aberdeen and showed us the pictures of the land before they started. You could believe it was the same place.
Amazing place. I wonder if they lost a lot of plants as they had a lot that were semi hardy and after the last two hard winters we have had it would be interesting to see what has survived.
Must go back.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal