We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2011  (Read 17577 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Trillium 2011
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
I've posted a number of recent Trillium pics on the NARGS forum.
To save 'cross' posting the link is below.

http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=631.msg10698#msg10698

Cheers Dave
Dave looking at your pics,i am blown away with your seed germination,i get if lucky one or two a year.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2011, 11:55:09 PM »

Dave looking at your pics,i am blown away with your seed germination,i get if lucky one or two a year.

Davey
The pic shows only about a quarter of the seed pots that have germinated in the last couple of years --there are just as many pots again on the opposite side of the shade house that are awaiting signs of movement...... ::)

Back in May of this thread i inadvertently suggested to Knud that he divide his T. pusillum in late summer early autumn based on my experiences in dividing 'late' over a number of years.(In fact i was dividing up until the shortest day this winter ).

Gote commented that he and others had lost T.s when taking action at that time.

We then went on to discuss root growth,the effect of disturbing clumps and the differences in climate zones............

Without wanting to open this train of thought again  ;D ;D i thought some of you might be interested in the results of divisions i took specifically in response to the postings made in May.

I divided 3 sps and potted up 6 rhizomes each of T.pusillium, T.chloro type white and double T.grandiflorum.

All 6 divisions of T.pusillum are currently flowering.

As well as 2 of T. chloro type--the 4 left are in leaf.

The 'parent' clumps in the garden haven't turned a 'hair' and are in bloom.

Not all has been successful however as only one of the T.grandiflorums is going to flower ---3 are in nearly in full leaf --2 rotted. This isn't unusual as i have experienced this before with this sps.The 'parent' clump in it's trough has flowers yet to open on all its growths.

When dividing i selected strong noses and was careful to try and not damage the yellow tip on each root.

Cheers Dave.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2011, 07:28:12 PM »
Davey, Dave lives right at the bottom of the South Island, just 3kms north of the south pole and in a climate of perpetual mist and drizzle. This is perfect for Trillium germination and growth. I believe the temperature went up to -3C yesterday, when we had 23C here. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
Dave lives right at the bottom of the South Island, just 3kms north of the south pole and in a climate of perpetual mist and drizzle. This is perfect for Trillium germination and growth. I believe the temperature went up to -3C yesterday, when we had 23C here. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You'll keep sunshine   ::) !.Yes indeed you'll keep......... ;) ;D

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
You'll have plenty chances this weekend Dave. I'm trembling in my boots. ;D :-*

Hopefully we'll have some Trillium pics to post here too.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Knud

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »

Back in May of this thread i inadvertently suggested to Knud that he divide his T. pusillum in late summer early autumn based on my experiences in dividing 'late' over a number of years.(In fact i was dividing up until the shortest day this winter ).

Hello Dave,
I saw your interesting post (and many beautiful Trillium pictures in the link) as I returned from vacation recently, and thought I would give a brief update on my T. pusillum division.

Back in May late summer was still far away, and given the discussion that followed your "late summer early autumn" advice, I read some of your other postings in which you stated (late) January as when you normally divided Trilliums. So I opted for our "January", and divided in the latter half of July. The flowers were long gone, and the leaves came off quite easily when I handled the clump. I was a bit disheartened as I felt it was difficult to break the clump up without injuring some of the tiny shoots on the surface (I now wonder if they were root shoots). It was a big and congested clump, so I got many plants, most of which I planted in pots, some in the garden, and four I left in moist vermiculite in a tin. I was encouraged when I "rediscovered" the ones left in vermiculite 3-4 weeks later, and saw that they had developed nice tangles of new roots. Before I left for vacation I planted out about half of the potted ones, and they all had nice roots and a prominent growing tip.

Now I have to wait for spring to see what comes up, and in the meantime enjoy all the wonderful images of spring that emerges from your half of the world.  Thanks again for your advice, Dave
Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »
A few more easterners posted here.

http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=631.60

Best of luck Knud.

Cheers Dave.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal