We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Who knows about Hardy Orchids?  (Read 749 times)

Anton

• Journal Access Group
Who knows about Hardy Orchids?
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »
If you open this, I guess you know something about them.

Are you competent to review the new Kew book "Growing Hardy Orchids" for our journal? The book ... "introduces an exciting array of orchids from 47 diverse genera that can be cultivated in a cool greenhouse or outside among other temperate garden plants. This book is suitable for both the amateur and professional, with practical information on all aspects of growing hardy orchids including raising plants from seed, vegetative propagation, cultivation in pots and in open ground, coping with pests and diseases, and orchid conservation."

Please contact me if you think you can help.

antonedwards@aol.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Who knows about Hardy Orchids?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »
Anton Edwards, is, of course, the Editor of the SRGC Journal "The Rock Garden" .... I know there are many skilled growers of hardy orchids among the forumists, so I hope someone will come forward.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:39:14 PM »
This is a great little book. Forget the fact that it is a cheap little paperback (rrp £12;50; KewBooks £10; SRGC £11), my expectations before I received copies on Friday. It is full of information and glossy coloured pictures that will be ideal for someone new to hardy orchids of all types. I have already sold the first copy - to myself! It is just a pity that the book did not come out a couple of months ago as it would make an excellent stocking filler.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
I'm still awaiting my copy, lost in the post the first one.  Got mine for £8.63 including delivery from The Book Depository
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 07:44:45 PM »
I know very little indeed about hardy orchids but I DO know a lot about Dactylorhiza maculata and its ssp fuchsii (well they were originally bought in the UK in 1981 under those names). I know about them because they've almost become weeds, welcome though they are. Going around yetsreday I counted nearly 200 stems in flower, mostly in pots of bulbs, but also in the little bit of civilized lawn, in long grass, in cracks in the concrete paths, in nursery pots, in raised beds and so on. Just everywhere in fact. Even more spread about than our pesky native onion orchid Microtis uniflora. At least the Dactylorhiza has attractive flowers, not the miniscule grass green of the Microtis.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 07:47:27 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal