We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Birmingham One Day Conference  (Read 2123 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: AGS Birmingham One Day Conference
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 10:00:34 AM »
Diane - I've been to several mini-AGS Conferences in the past and found them hugely enjoyable. I look forward to the prospect of going up to Norwich in September. I've always wondered though how much they are advertised outside the AGS? (If at all). We have had thoughts of trying to organise a meeting in association with a University (particularly one with strong plant based studies), but we are much too much off the beaten track in Kent. However, it seems an opportunity, though a novel and perhaps far-fetched one, to show a new group of people the wonders of the alpine world - and we are not short of exceptional speakers.

There often seems quite a gulf between gardening societies like the AGS and SRGC, and what may appear the more rigorous studies within academic environments, but I think that is a false distinction, and there must be many members who actually live in both worlds. I suppose the Conference at Nottingham did this, but again was not promoted as something for people outside the Societies. I think it could be something for the Society to explore which is primarily aimed at a new audience, and which would therefore make us think more of how to attract them and convince them of the magic of the alpine world. (This rather ties in with thoughts of how alpines, and other plants, could be better presented on television too - ie: just how does the Society catch the attention of new gardeners, whilst retaining its strong founding principles).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal