We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Epilobium  (Read 923 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Epilobium
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
I have seed of Epilobium colchicum and E. crassum and know less than nothing about them. Any information as to when to sow and how to sow would be appreciated please.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Epilobium
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:19:01 PM »
For the Epilobium colchicum  I'd just throw it around the garden and it will have the entire county colonised in no time..... isn't Epilobium colchicum the common, and rampant, Willowherb?  :o

The little New Zealander, E. crassum is cuter...... I'll grant you that. Try it in a very sandy mix... that'll grow most anything.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:22:47 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:38:26 PM »
For the Epilobium colchicum  I'd just throw it around the garden and it will have the entire county colonised in no time..... isn't Epilobium colchicum the common, and rampant, Willowherb?  :o

The little New Zealander, E. crassum is cuter...... I'll grant you that. Try it in a very sandy mix... that'll grow most anything.

Yikes! is it? I get enough of that from the nearby railway line (that bloke Brunel has a lot to answer for). Think I'll have a go at the New Zealander though. Autumn sown?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
The big one from the railway lines  may be E. angustifolium... but frankly, even of E. colchicum is a bit  smaller I wouldn't be too keen.
 Seed Exes  list it though, and the Czechs sell it......so the choice is yours!  ::) ;)

Yes, for E. crassum, sow seed late autumn, barely covering the seed. Wants a poorish soil, I reckon.
 I think I 've seen germination given as likely within a month at 10 to 16 degrees, but we don't go in for such luxuries here.  :-[
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »
Many thanks Maggi.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ronm

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »
You could always start a colony of the Elephant Hawkmoth and / or the Small Elephant Hawkmoth. We DO have both on Epilobium in the garden ;D.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=60

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3162

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal