We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gynandriris / Moraea (Eurasian)  (Read 3515 times)

Angelo Porcelli

Re: Gynandriris / Moraea (Eurasian)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »
Oron, these are the Sicilian plants with one leaf. What do you think?
central Apulia - Southern Italy
Zone 9b - mediterranean climate

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »
Very interesting to read this comments Angelo and Oron .
The best Moraea/Gymandris I did ever see was on Chios previous year .
This really fine specimen had very big flowers , it looks almost like a kind of juno .... 
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »
Oron, these are the Sicilian plants with one leaf. What do you think?

Angelo,
It is not easy to tell 100% from your photo but it does look more M. mediterranea then M. sisyrinchium.

M. sisyrinchium is a tiny species, usually less then 10 cm. Pronounced Yellow/orange patch on the falls.
A good sign is the time in which it blooms as i mentioned earlier, around 11am - 2pm for mediterranea and 3pm - 6pm fo sisyrnchium, unless it is a cloudy day and light level is low.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:23:17 AM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
Two flowering here - first is from turkey - a large plant.
Second is very tiny  from the Balearic Islands (with two leaves) - in its habitat about 10 cm high - habitat is now a parking place. :(
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Angelo Porcelli

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
Thanks to all for the photos, now they story is more complicated than ever !  ::)
Oron, these Sicilian plants open surely at 3 pm, (photo was taken at 4 pm, but consider the legal time now) as well as the other native 'sisyrinchium', than now I don't know how to call.
Both have a well visible yellow signal, the Sicilian plants have one leaf, linear, thin and rather floppy, the native ones have two leaves, larger adn spirally twisted, laying on the ground. My native ones have not flowered yet, the Sicilian ones are probably ended, they grow just 1m apart, in the same position in full sun. Both are just 10cm tall.
Now, Darren, Kris and Hans have posted photos of plants without the yellow signal and I am happy that Hans put a photo of that Turkish plant, which I have never seen such a tall one ! I friend of mine got a couple of corms from a trade, labelled as M. sisyrinchium and are just the same of Hans, the plant are very tall and with well branched stems and rather large flowers too.
I have seen also several photos of wild plants from Sicily and Sardinia, showing also tall plants as well as short ones, but in Apulia I have always found very small plants
central Apulia - Southern Italy
Zone 9b - mediterranean climate

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal