We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 5969 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: December 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
Like Tigridia, the flowers only last a day but what a day! There seem now to be two pods forming so if they mature Luit, you may like a little :) seed? Too early to tell yet but I'll keep in touch. In spite of a filthy, cold, wet spring and an almost as bad early summer, I've better seed on bulbs this year than for many years past.
YES Lesley, that would be great :D Hopefully, by the time needed I'll have a small sort of glasshouse then to grow-up plants like this ...
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 12:59:19 AM »
How tall is the flowering stem and what size is the flower?

For me they're about 40 cms high, with less of a tendency to sprawl if grown in too rich a medium than vanhouttei or pavonia. The flowers are about 7-10 cms across. Mine do best in full sun, with a well-drained but moist soil. Self-fertile too.

John, did yours come from the Gillanders or another source? If they're definitely from a different introduction could I ask for a seed or two at some point?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:03:03 AM by rob krejzl »
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »
I think mine is a little shorter, say 35cms and the flower a little less wide, maybe 6cms across but these are its first after all and it has lived all its short life (3 years) in a pot. Yours is a better picture than mine John. I noticed this morning the remains of a third flower on the same stem. It must have been out yesterday because apart from it, there are the two previous remains (pods) so a good clump must be quite spectacular over a period. I have maybe 3 or 4 more plants in my pot, not yet flowered.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »
Yes  it is ex Ken Gillanders  My stem is 60cms with the flower 7cms.  I am growing it in a pot at present so it does get a little bit pampered.
Rob, I notice I have at least two seed pods forming on one stem so I will collect them for you

John

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »
Thanks for the offer John, but mine are from Ken as well. I was hoping for something with a different origin.

Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 04:51:07 AM »
Mine then Rob? if the seed develops. I can't imagine Stewart's came from Ken.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 07:18:25 AM »
That would be very gracious - especially at a time when you're so busy.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 10:46:21 PM »
Well they'll be a good while yet I'd guess, assuming they develop properly anyway. I'll let you know later.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal