We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Viola tour 2014  (Read 2453 times)

gervandenbeuken

• grower of choice cushion plants
Viola tour 2014
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
The Rosulate Viola tour:

Every member of the SRGC will agree that Rosulate Viola’s are the most beautiful alpines we know. In 2010 I organized a botanical tour to Central Patagonia in the province Neuquen led by Marcela Ferreyra and me. After that trip we were corresponding with John and Anita Watson and they told me that concerning Viola species this was the most successful tour ever made. Twelve different species we found on our way travelling from north to south. That’s why I decided to repeat this botanical highlight in January 2014.
For this trip led by Marcela Ferreyra and myself there are 14 places available.
The trip starts in the region of Bariloche where we will see for example the magnificent Ranunculus semiverticillatus and Oxalis erythrorhyza growing at 2400m. in the screes of the Cerro Cathedral. Further North we will explore the Cerro Chapelco and again further to the North we will climb the Cerro Colohuincul and will see the very famous and beautiful Viola coronifera. On our way to the North we will finish our tour in Chos Malal and will explore for instance the screes of the Volcan Batea Mahuida and the Volcan Copahue. During this 3 weeks tour we will see a huge variety of plants. This is just a very brief itinerary. Of course there are questions. Those people with interest can send me a personal email: gervandenbeuken@versatel.nl

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:48:42 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Viola tour 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »
Marcela is the co-author of a super book on the Flowers of the Patagonian Steppe:

Lorraine Green and Marcela Ferreyra : Flowers of the Patagonian Steppe

Vazquez Mazzini Editores       www.vmeditores.com.ar

"A field guide to recognise the main species of the plants of the Patagonian Steppe, selected for their abundance, beauty and adaptations.

With attractive and detailed drawings in ink and watercolour, this guide describes in accessible language and with scientific accuracy the botanical features of each species, observations for their identification, scientific and common names, uses, flowering period, possibilities for cultivation, habitat, distribution, among other useful information. It also includes a botanical and medical glossary, as well as a list of the species present in the area. "

The unusual beauty of the Flora of the Patagonian Steppe.

250 species described – More than 300 colour illustrations

MARCELA FERREYRA

Is a Biologist and Tourist Guide. Her main areas of interest include the flora of the high mountain and Patagonian steppe , its conservation and cultivation, as well as environmental education. She is the author of several publications on these subjects and has given countless courses. She works in the education of teachers and guides of the National Park, in floristic surveys, and as a specialized guide in the flora of the Patagonian region.

marcela.andina@gmail.com      www.marcelaferreyra.com.ar

LORRAINE GREEN

Lorraine Green studied Fine Arts in Buenos Aires. She participates actively in exhibitions throughout the country. Her art-work has always been related to nature and botanical illustration. She teaches drawing and has given several courses in nature drawing, some of them in different National Parks.

lorraine@bariloche.com.ar     www.lorrainegreen.com.ar

http://www.vmeditores.com.ar/vm_publico/detalle.asp?id_titulo=34&index=0

Flores de la estepa patagónica / Flowers of the patagonian steppe
ISBN
978-987-9132-34-0

Authors: Lorraine Green - Marcela Ferreyra
ISBN 10: 9879132343
ISBN 13: 9789879132340
Edition: 1st (English/Spanish)
Release: March 26, 2012
Format: Paperback (288 pages)
List Price: $45.95

http://www.amazon.com/Flowers-Flores-Patagonian-Lorraine-Green/dp/9879132343

:)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:00:39 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »
Sounds like a fabulous prospect, Ger. 

I note, however, that you have included a visit to Volcan Copahue. This is currently in a state of unrest with some explosive release of ash and gas recently. I note that the Argentine and Chilean authorities have just down graded the state of alert for this area to yellow as the eruption has declined in strength and content over the last few days. I guess it would be wise to keep an eye on what happens over the next few months as this cannot be guaranteed to be the end of the current eruption.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
It will be an exciting tour for certain as I'm sure not only violas will be seen. ;D What, for instance is the plant in the above picture? Those look like two very attractive women to spend time with and I imagine there will be a lot of fun on that tour as well as an amazing opportunity to learn of the local flora.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:28:57 AM »
What, for instance is the plant in the above picture?
Anarthrophyllum desideratum?
Looks like a wonderful trip.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 04:52:29 AM »
I did wonder about that Lori but as that's a very prickly plant, would that hand be resting there, however lightly?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

gervandenbeuken

• grower of choice cushion plants
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:44:51 AM »
I know about this situation Dave, I will keep an eye on it. I know exactly what to do as I was six times in S. Argentina. If necessary I can change this for an other location in that region. There is sufficient time to reorganise in case of, as we are living one year in advance of this event.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal