We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gardens I/we have visited  (Read 1871 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Gardens I/we have visited
« on: December 12, 2007, 01:24:11 PM »
Hi
I thought it would be nice to have a continuous thread with gardens we visit so that it never get old and hidden on page 12 on general topic.
I did not take these pics with this intention and some are maybe to much of family holliday and I am sory for that.
I will start with my recent trip to San Diego and report from there.

The main garden that is within walking distance 30-50 minutes from downtown San Diego is Balboa park that consists of museums and small parks inside and around.
First a picture outside the botanical building.
Then the rose garden
Then then the desert garden (here it might be interesting if people were able to identify what we see in the pics since I do not have a clue)
and then nothing from the Japanese garden since I did no get inspired there. I was there at the same time they had music outside and hence the right mood did not come. Worth a visit but still needs some time to mature I think.

Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Gardens I/we have visited
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 01:41:01 PM »
To Continue the San Diego trip we visited the zoo and it has a lovely setting in Balboa park. It is nice and really a feeling of tropics there. A great visit. 8) :o ;D
I must say as a place to visit I give it 10 out of 10.
Here are some pics to show the feeling of the place.
I saw what I think is Habaranthus and would like to know if I am right or wrong.

Later we visited See World and as a garden I give it 1 out of 10 but as an attraction 6 out of 10.
If we did not have to leave finger prints ??? and had our bags searched on arrival to see if we bring food or drinks to the place I would have rated it 7. The plantation is much more of bedding plants and seems to be changed all the time and it was clinical not at all what I like but others might like it. The ratio cement to green was not a good one but maybe needed when the park is full!!

There will also be a picture of what I think is a pacific coast hybrid at the iris page. That picture came from old town that was a nice place to visit but not really a garden place.

Kind regards
Joakim

Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 04:01:45 PM »
Gosh,  your post brought back many memories Joakim.  I was last there about 7 years ago and seeing your photos has reminded what a nice time we had. 

thanks for posting.

regards

John
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:09:20 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:27:58 PM »
Hi Joakim
Thanks for the trip that we can make with you. Your white flowers that you note as Habranthus are Haemanthus albiflos.
do

Pontoux France

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:04:28 AM »
Hi Dominique
Thanks for the ID on the plant and the kind words  ;D . I tend to mix everything up now when chosing seed from the exchange :)  :-[

Kind regards
Joakim

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal