We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roscoea from seed  (Read 936 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Roscoea from seed
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:15:12 PM »
Last year I collected and planted seeds from all my Roscoeas. They now look like mini Roscoeas. How long to blooming size? Are they OK in a large 5L pot? Should I feed them before they go dormant?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Garden Prince

Re: Roscoea from seed
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 06:32:31 AM »
Sowed Roscoea purpurea years ago.  If I remember correctly the few plants I had flowered in their third year. Plants were kept in a small polytunnel year round.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Roscoea from seed
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 11:29:13 PM »
Last year I collected and planted seeds from all my Roscoeas. They now look like mini Roscoeas. How long to blooming size? Are they OK in a large 5L pot? Should I feed them before they go dormant?

Some species will start flowering in 2-3 years, some later. I keep young ones in smaller pots and try to keep them dry starting late fall and in the winter. But I live and garden in a totally different climate so I don't know if you would have the same problem like here - too much rain/cold when they are dormant so they easily rot if not protected. I would feed them when they start growing again.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5, Canada
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal