We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Urgent help with mini disaster! :(  (Read 963 times)

pontus

Urgent help with mini disaster! :(
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

As I woke up today I noticed a complete disaster in one of  my borders, (of course one of the borders with the rarest lilium sp as usual...) it looked as if though an elephant had decided to sleep in it overnight! :( all emerging lilium shoots had been broken off to the ground, and camassias and otrher woodlanders completely crushed...:(

the only survivor was a clump of pardalinum which was right at the far right side of the border, as well as 1 stem of lilium black beauty....other pardalinums and canadense rubrums and martagons are slaughtered!

Does anyone have any idea what animal could have done this? it almost looks to big to be  a cat....and how can i prevent it from happening again?

i admit it was quite a heartbreaking sight, as i had spent about 4 years tending and feeding those lilies from small bulbs for them to reach FS and most had come directly from america, so very expensive to post....(of course they may regrow next year, but will loose in vigour from having had their shoots broken of to the ground..)

Pontus

Palustris

Re: Urgent help with mini disaster! :(
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
Two choices really. Fox or badger. We had a similar if not so expensive a problem last week and judging from the droppings it was a badger who had decided that the tulips in the bottom part of the garden would be just  right for supper.

Ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
Try to spray them with an anti stress formula based on vitamins B. This will greatly help their recovery. My sympathies.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »
Two choices really. Fox or badger. We had a similar if not so expensive a problem last week and judging from the droppings it was a badger who had decided that the tulips in the bottom part of the garden would be just  right for supper.

I have had a nightmare winter due to badger visitors but they haven't done that sort of damage.  What they do is dig up bulbs and root around in the wood chip presumably looking for worms etc.  I would think it was a fox. 

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »
We had an issue a couple of months ago when 'something' came into the garden and had a root about. It also left a large, slimy black deposit in an open hole. I think it was a badger and the advice I was given was to spray a solution of Jeyes Fluid round the boundary, alternatively to soak a rag in Jeyes Fluid and hang it on the fence. We did the latter. The animal does not seem to have been back but there are also other factors involved that could have sent it elsewhere.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Guus

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »
This is Always a nightmare  for us, but the animals around us do not know what the worthwhile plants are.... so a snail ate one of my Cyp-flowering stems just at ground level .... grrr. I have got no idea about the animal that is responsible for this damage.
But do I spot a Lilybeetle on the left side on one of the stems? Those are the ones that do a lot of damage on my Lilies!

Guus; Netherlands

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal