We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: how to save a chopped off slug eaten allium elegans bud? :(  (Read 539 times)

pontus

Is it possible to save an (almost) unopened allium elegans bud which got slug eaten? :(

Sadly it got chopped off from its flowerstem only 2cm's or less from the top...the flowerbuds where just starting to emerge and it would have flowered in about 10 days I think....

as always, all more common alliums round the elagans pot where untoutched, confirming that slugs and pests always destroy the most expensive and rare bulbs!

I have improvised a small construction by placing the bud in wet paper cloth in a small eg cup...(see attatched images..)

what can i do now to maximise chances of seeing at least 1 flower open from the umbel? or is there no hope?

Pontus

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
Re: how to save a chopped off slug eaten allium elegans bud? :(
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
Sorry I have no idea but I was bewildered when I first read the header of your post as I thought it said "How to save a chopped off slug" and my response was "why on earth would you want to" :o.  I suppose you can't do more than you are and its amazing how slugs are able to detect our most precious plants.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal