We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sad loss of a respected plantswoman  (Read 843 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Sad loss of a respected plantswoman
« on: September 07, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
We are sad to learn that following an illness  Dr Mavis Jean Allanson has passed away at home in Bolton.

Mavis was a  member of both the SRGC and AGS and was a keen and  successful exhibitor at shows.
Only last month, her friends Shelagh and Brian Smethurst brought  along some plants on her behalf  to the SRGC Summer Event at Dunblane.
Followers of the show reports will be aware of the fine plants grown by Mavis.

My main contact with Mavis was via postal communications about bulbs and I was always pleased to see her plants in the show reports and to read of her successes.

Mavis Allanson served as a JP ( Justice of the Peace) and was Mayoress  when her husband Brian was Mayor of Bolton in 1988- 89 .  Mavis was a GP and Medical Officer of Health for Bolton and Senior Medical Officer, Manchester Area for the DHSS. She was also Mayoress for her mother, Alderman Mrs Nora Vickers, Mayor of Bolton 1966-67.

Mavis is survived by her husband Brian and three sons - we send the family our sincere condolences.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martinr

Re: Sad loss of a respected plantswoman
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
So sad. Mavis and I met and struggled our way through the shows intermediate section and then took on the big boys of the open section at the same time. Always pleasant, always kind and I still have her generous gift of Androsace rotundifolia. My thoughts are with Brian and the family.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »
Many thanks Martin.

Mavis was such a valued and well-loved member of the East Lancashire Group of the AGS and an inspirational grower and exhibitor.  She will be very sorely missed by all her friends, fellow exhibitors and acquaintances in this wonderful alpine fraternity.
Our sympathies and condolences to Brian and all the family.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:01:23 AM »
I add my condolences and echo the thoughts of Martin and Cliff.  Mavis and Brian do not have a computer but Mavis liked to know what was going on and would get a friend to print off the show reports and results tables from the AGS site.         
I will add to Maggi's report of her achievements that Mavis and her husband Brian have been extremely loyal supporters of the AGS seed exchange for many years, particularly with filing and numbering the seed in Warrington.  In recent years when Mavis was suffering from poor health, they would drive over to help us with various seed jobs, often coming several times during the week in two cars so Mavis could go home early and Brian would stay for the full day.  What dedication. 
She will be sadly missed. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:08:25 AM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »
Thanks for putting this up Maggi.

It has been sad to see Mavis decline.  We have spent many happy hours with her and Brian at their place and ours and also at Shows.  Always generous Mavis has given us several plants mainly Hepaticas and we hope to do her proud on the showbench with them next year.  We are pleased we were able to visit her in hospital before she came home.

She used to ring my Brian for advice in the beginning, but as he told her later, you could give me some now.

We shall surely miss her but she will live on in the plants she gave to people.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal