We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Propane heaters - a good idea??  (Read 2611 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Propane heaters - a good idea??
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »
Power cuts are a problem. Living in a village it's not unusual for us to have power cuts. Obviously it would happen while we were away for a weekend, tripping the circuit breaker so none of the heaters came on. -14C outside, -7C inside…
Electric heaters do seem to be the best bet though. My glasshouses are 18ft x 8ft, 12 x 8, 6 x 8 and the new one 8x8. A 2kw heater manages to keep the biggest one above -2C, even in the worst we've had recently. I probably could do with smasller ones in the others?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Propane heaters - a good idea??
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
If your area is subject to electric cuts then you should buy a gas heater. In my case i bought a petrol burner in case of power failure but never had to use it.
With buble insulation (double laminated, 36mm) the electric cost was around 140£ for the long winter season and 16m² heated, 2°c. Without insulation, during 2011 winter, the bill almost reach 380£. Insulation is a necessity even with polycarbonat pans.
North of France

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal