We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arisaema 2013  (Read 5862 times)

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
Re: Arisaema 2013
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »
Aren't they just? Growing well and super photos, Alan.  I do like arisaemas and am so pleased they seem to enjoy life in Scotland!

Thanks! Yeah i love Arisaemas. Boyd Barr got me into them when I worked at Branklyn. He has a lot to answer for really.

I have a few others that are over. I've got A. nepenthoides, two forms of A. griffithii, A. amurense (oddly with didnt flower this year) and A. consanguinium.

Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

Bart

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
I have a clump of Arisaema that came to me as A. consanguineum. This year I wondered about donating seed to the exchange, but since I tried to verify its identity with the Gusman's book I started to doubt. Earlier in this thread there was another A. consanguineum that was likened to A. ciliatum var. liubaense. These look very similar. Does anyone have a top-tip as to how to tell them apart? (I transplanted some last year and broke some stolons which must be from this arisaema) The tallest plant reached about 50cm.

pontus

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »
Hello Bart,

I would say that you have cilliatum var liuabaense, as they generally have these flowers with brown lines and larger flowers. I find that consanguineum usually has plain green leaves with green flowers, like the one I photographed this summer in Gothenburg botanical gardens that you can see in the link below :

http://pontuswallstenplants.smugmug.com/Other/Arisaema-gallery/30129183_xR7jTf#!i=2590551472&k=974G2wq

Pontus

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
I have a clump of Arisaema that came to me as A. consanguineum. This year I wondered about donating seed to the exchange, but since I tried to verify its identity with the Gusman's book I started to doubt. Earlier in this thread there was another A. consanguineum that was likened to A. ciliatum var. liubaense. These look very similar. Does anyone have a top-tip as to how to tell them apart? (I transplanted some last year and broke some stolons which must be from this arisaema) The tallest plant reached about 50cm. 

The tip is this: A ciliatum is stoloniferous and has hairs on the margins of the mouth, and A ciliatum var liubaense is stoloniferous, but has no hairs, although some authorites now do not recognise var liubaense as distinct.  A consanguineum is not stoloniferous.  I agree with Pontus that the colour is usually a good differentiating feature, as A ciliatum usually has brown stripes. 

So I agree with Pontus that your plant is A ciliatum on colour, and also because it is stoloniferous.  I think that the reason this form is now very common in cultivation is because it reproduces by stolons.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Bart

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »
Thanks Pontus and Diane.
Diane, would it be safe to name them as such then for the seed exchange? Please see attached detail of the mouth-margin- no hairs I think. And is there an interest for these seeds or are they too common? I also have some Arum dioscoridis var. syriacum, and nice A. maculatum with lots of brown markings.

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:56 PM »
Can anyone identify this little darling, I found in Mizoram, India at 1370m. Growing amongst Ophiopogon japonicus and Mahonia sp.
'Hope itself breeds life'

Nurseryman & Landscape Architect

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 11:37:48 PM »
There was also this one from the next mountain range. Also growing about the same height 1300m. Tending to grow in the clearings.

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 11:55:50 PM »
Welcome uvularia! I do like these fimbriate Arisaemas- not that we see many of them.

Your two might be album and fraternum.............. I think they'd correspond roughly to the area you saw them in.... :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 12:09:20 AM »
Thanks Maggi. I love the A. album. Wonderful thing to come across in the forest. It seems that images of A. fraternum are quite variable on the internet. Is the leaf right for A. fraternum?

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 12:18:01 AM »
This is another delicate one found on the same mountain - Mhui Fang. In deep shade.

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
Thanks Maggi. I love the A. album. Wonderful thing to come across in the forest. It seems that images of A. fraternum are quite variable on the internet. Is the leaf right for A. fraternum?

Not sure how many leaflets the one in thepicture has - but  fraternum should have  8 or 9 I think - plus I think the leaf tips of that are more acuminate and I don't see those wispy tips in your pic - so that is why I said it "might" be that.....I am no expert, far from it ... just giving a starting point for more research - or comments from others!
I do find these plants fascinating.

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »
Interestingly following contact with Pascal Bruggeman, it seems that the Arisaema from Reiek in my earlier post could be a new species or sub-species to India. The closest described similar species is in Thailand and China. Looks like I will have to go back and find it again. I was there in May, not a time I am normally able to get away!

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
Good news that you have made contact with Pascal B. - he  has studied Arisaema widely.

What a great excuse for another trip!

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 10:15:52 AM »
We are just heading back to India next week, but to Manipur not Mizoram, to explore a heavily forested  range of mountains in the west of the state. We explored the eastern border with Burma last year and were the first plant hunters in their since 1949. Frank Kingdon-Ward had been there then and the villagers showed us where he had camped with 60 porters. Amazing large tracks of forest there.

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal