We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum 2013  (Read 6728 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Podophyllum 2013
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
Podophyllum delavayi x pleianthum and delavayi x pleianthum or versipelle.   First photo is late in the season.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »
Stephen,  Do you know which species were crossed to produce Spotty Dotty and Kaleidoscope ? I d'ont think they have the same parents. Robin

Only a 50% hint here - http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/podophyllums-the-mayapples-of-asia-and-america-2/

Note the outrageous planter of Podos at Hinkley's.  :o

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 03:09:57 PM »

Note the outrageous planter of Podos at Hinkley's.  :o

john
Oh my word, yes! Magnificent ly over the top! And the photo was taken by Riz Reyes..... he hasn't been around the forum for donkey's years. Blogging nowadays, if I remember correctly........ 
yup! http://nextgenerationgardener.blogspot.co.uk/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:16:01 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »
A feature that distinguishes Podo aurantiocaule from all other species is the presence of little hairs on its leaf margin. Have a look on the leaf margin of Podo Spotty Dotty.

1 leaf margin  Podo aurantiocaule
2 Podo Spotty Dotty
3 Leaf margin Spotty Dotty
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

johnw

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »
A feature that distinguishes Podo aurantiocaule from all other species is the presence of little hairs on its leaf margin. Have a look on the leaf margin of Podo Spotty Dotty.

1 leaf margin  Podo aurantiocaule
2 Podo Spotty Dotty
3 Leaf margin Spotty Dotty

Great to know Robin.  Any thoughts on Kaleidoscope's other partner, that is if one parent is indeed difforme?  I don't grow it but most people I know that do have lost it and that would make one think difforme is the culprit.

johnw
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:18:45 PM by johnw »

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
My experience with Sinopodophyllum hexandrum seed is that is comes up like cress if sown fresh. I have had reports that this is the same for Podophyllum peltatum. So if you need any plants we are knee deep in them!
'Hope itself breeds life'

Nurseryman & Landscape Architect

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

Stephen Vella

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2013, 01:04:35 AM »
Robin,

in regards to spotty dotty there is still some mistery behind it,

a quote" This new cultivar originated from a cross between Podophyllum hybrid ‘374’ (an unpatented proprietary plant) as the seed parent and Podophyllum delavayi ‘64’ (an unpatented proprietary plant) as the pollen parent. The seed parent, Podophyllum hybrid ‘374’, is an outstanding selection out of a hybrid swarm from a Japanese nursery, which is believed to have come from P. difforme, P. delavayi, and P. versipelle. The pollen parent, Podophyllum delavayi ‘64’ is a highly colored selection. The new cultivar was chosen for its outstanding foliage and vigor.

When looking at auranticaule I can see why, leaf shape and habit looks to be involved.
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Stephen Vella

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 01:26:59 AM »
John your plants are outstanding...very nice leaves....and yes I have seen that article, Dan had some nice delavayi selections.

and this is the info on Kaleidoscope..quote.

This new cultivar originated from a cross between Podophyllum hybrid 374 (an unpatented proprietary plant) as the seed parent and Podophyllum hybrid 352 (an unpatented proprietary plant) as the pollen parent. These two Podophyllum hybrids are outstanding selections out of a hybrid swarm in a Japanese nursery, which I believe come from P. difforme, P. delavayi, and P. versipelle. The new cultivar was chosen for its outstanding foliage and vigor.

so the hybrid may never really be figured out

Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
This is one of my Podopyllum difforme and a second picture showing the leaf shape.

The leaves have faded now at the end of the season but earlier in the year have quite spectacular markings.

At the moment they live in a frame but i am looking to plant them out.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

johnw

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »
Tony - Do you often see difforme seedlings that have only one flat side to the leaf?  And do these become rectangular later?

Here we have tried seed from spotted difforme and green velvety difforme and as you might guess the latter is the survivor.   

I can't help but think of the sets in Dr. Caligari's Cabinet when I see a spectacular difforme!

johnw
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:25:21 PM by johnw »

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
John I raised only a couple from seed about five years ago and still have them as well as the original plant and they all have had  square leaves from the start. They are velvety but have lovely markings earlier in the season.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

johnw

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »
John I raised only a couple from seed about five years ago and still have them as well as the original plant and they all have had  square leaves from the start. They are velvety but have lovely markings earlier in the season.

Sorry.  When I had a closer look the flat in question was half straight difforme and half Spotty Dotty.  The difformes were all square!

johnw
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:42:15 PM by johnw »

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
I had some Podophyllum seed from the late Mavis Allanson's garden and asked for advice on sowing.  Maggi put me on to Kristl Walek's piece and it worked a treat.  All 10 seeds sprouted in the vermiculite and then I potted them up and dosed with Giberellic acid and here we are 10 seedlings all through, though rather drawn because of the terrible grey weather we have had recently.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

arisaema

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 05:07:44 PM »

I think several species may have that trait, see for example this one from Chengkou: https://plus.google.com/photos/105949321477278762609/albums/5737136556814267345/5737139962441376306?banner=pwa&pid=5737139962441376306&oid=105949321477278762609

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2014, 10:02:35 AM »
An update on the Podophyllum hexandra seed sown following Kristl's method.  Brian came to show me this yesterday.  He was surprised that after all this time the cotyledons had not produced anything else but then he spotted this.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal