We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Thalictrum coreanum seeding?  (Read 397 times)

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
Thalictrum coreanum seeding?
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »
I only have only one clone of Thalictrum coreanum, and for nine years it has never set seed, until now.  As I understand(?), the species is either self infertile or dioecious.  I grow Tt. kiusianum, aquilegifolium, dasycarpum(both sexes), thalctroides and minus(both sexes).  All are 30ft (9m) or more away.  What is the likely scenario to produce seed?
--- apomixis?
--- temporary production of hermaphroditic flowers?
--- temporary self fertility?
--- cross pollination with other species?
--- ? ? ?

454330-0    454332-1    454334-2

Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
Re: Thalictrum coreanum seeding?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:45:03 PM »
Rick,

Curious to say the least, but my plants, which are all one clone (even the one you sent) have set seed this year to. I am thinking that it must be due to the production of a few bisexual flowers that enabled seed set due to some weather-related issue? Not sure, but very odd that we both have seed. I don't think I have any other species in flower that would be phylogenetically close to one another concurrently.

I am still unsure whether these are coreanum or ichangense. If the latter, they are very different from the ones I saw in Vietnam.

Aaron

Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
Re: Thalictrum coreanum seeding?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:31:12 PM »
A good example of how an individual clone is spread throughout the USA. Thanks for your insights, Aaron.  In fact seed production was confined to just part of one 2x2ft mat that I have.  The other (in a different garden) did not produce seed at all.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal