We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: KING FIRE, El dorado county, California  (Read 834 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
KING FIRE, El dorado county, California
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:14:58 AM »
When coming back to the farm on Sunday evening I noticed a huge plume of smoke direct ahead up the highway. This was the beginning of the King Fire, an ugly, out-of-control, mess that may rival last years Rim Fire near Yosemite Park.

Part of the smoke plume from near the farm. Looks like summertime afternoon convection. Guess again!

Closer in - trees exploding into flames.

This is only a tiny fraction of this fire. More trees exploding in flames.

455777-3

Smoke like this is everywhere - even at the farm. We are far enough way that we are not in danger now. Many have had to evacuate. The talk around town is what to bring with if the wind shifts and sends the flames towards us. This fire is completely out-of-control! I've never seen anything like this in the 59 years I've lived here. The weather forecast is for rain tomorrow - sounds good, however the next day the wind is the shift bringing the flames towards town and it is to turn hot (i.e. 34 - 38c). Not a good forecast for a fire that is moving very rapidly. Just this week a wildfire over-ran part of the town of Weed, California, with the loss of many homes.

More smoke and exploding trees.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

Re: KING FIRE, El dorado county, California
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:22:54 AM »
If yo don't here from me I may have had to evacuate!
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Ed Alverson

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:56:53 AM »
Good luck Robert, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

If there are others who are interested in following this, a good web site for up-to-the date information on the King Fire is http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4108/. The web site includes maps that show the fire perimeter. Sound like there was some pretty extreme fire behavior today.

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:45:01 AM »
Robert,
We hope you are safe.
It was only 6 months ago that we were going through the same anxiety - we really do live in a similar place to you!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:48:27 AM »
Terrifying situation to be in and goodness knows the  degree of natural damage that will be done even if human habitations do escape. We can only hope for all to remain safe - but as Robert says, with the heat and wind it is not a good prospect.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
Good luck, Robert. Hoping it will not be as bad as
 feared.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Robert

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:04:34 AM »
As of today, 18 September, the storm front moved through without any rainfall and the winds have now shifted to the North. Now we wait and see what happens. Town is a huge encampment of fire crews and heavy equipment to cut fire lines. By day there is the constant noise of helicopters and borate planes. The main highway is now closed.

When I checked on the fire lines yesterday the fire had burned to the main highway but had not burned much fuel, so with the wind shift there is still plenty of fuel to burn where the fire has already burned if it turns back on it self.

Right now the situation seems safe. There are thousands of fire fighter here and they are throwing all the aircraft and heavy equipment they can at this fire. They have to, the wind shift now sends the fire directly into a much more densely populated area.

Thanks for all your kind thought! Right now we are losing a lot of our wilderness - a tragedy. I hope they can get this fire contained soon!
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
When I checked on the fire lines yesterday the fire had burned to the main highway but had not burned much fuel, so with the wind shift there is still plenty of fuel to burn where the fire has already burned if it turns back on it self.

Oh, that is another frightening prospect - I think those of us who don't live where such fires occur tend to assume that that is not a possibility. I am so ignorant of these situations  - what a sheltered life I've had.

Robert

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »
King Fire update 19, September 2014

The tide has turned - everything seems to be working in the favor of the firefighters, all 4,000 of them.

First it has been much cooler than expected and the winds have been light.

Second, the fire rampaged to over 73,000 acres but the head of the fire is now in the next county, far away from us.

Sadly, it is burning in one of the few fairly pristine areas remaining near us - with old growth timber and many rare plants and animals. About 15 years ago, I systematically explored this remote area. After seeing the results of the Rim Fire of last season, it will be interesting for me to re-examine this area. As with the Rim Fire, I think that it will be a mixed bag of results both good and not so good.

Anyway the bottom line is that our community seems safe for now!

Oh, that is another frightening prospect - I think those of us who don't live where such fires occur tend to assume that that is not a possibility. I am so ignorant of these situations  - what a sheltered life I've had.

Maggi,

Most folks in the community were frightened by the fire! This fire was moving very quickly, maybe 15-20 km/ hr. at times.

Here is another way of looking at the situation - I'm terrified of cities and crowds of people. I'm extremely ignorant of urban life.

My wife (sensible) and our animals are in Sacramento (the valley) at our bungalow home, safe from the fire. Up at the farm, as an old timer in the area, the only way I could get the photographs of the flames in the trees was by being where I should not be, i.e. I know the ways around the road blocks without anyone being able to detect me (perhaps foolish). I'm no stranger to firelines, so I felt comfortable in the situation and could see firsthand what this fire was doing and what might happen in the future. Around here the "news" can be sort of true, sort of not. I slept better knowing what was going on firsthand. My level of being comfortable - but different from another's level of comfort.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"

Robert

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »
The fire crews are doing a great job of getting this beast of a fire under control. Unfortunately some homes have now been lost to the flames. The temperatures and wind have been much more favorable than expected. The smoke is terrible! Looks like we could get rain next week - this would be a get help.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal