We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pinguicula germination and tea  (Read 921 times)

Jack Meatcher

Pinguicula germination and tea
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:43:50 PM »
I've noted a past thread relating to pinguicula seed germination and, separately, the use of tea drenches to get reluctant seed to germinate. In the hope that I am successful in obtaining some seed in the forthcoming exchange, I'm preparing some compost. It will consist of moss peat, tea leaves (coarse and used), and some soil (mud?) from a stream in an area of acid heath. The latter is intended to provide some undefined symbiotic ingredients. I'll report in due course whichever way it goes. Meanwhile, any comments/suggestions?

Jack Meatcher
The Learner

Guus

Re: Pinguicula germination and tea
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »
Hi Jack,
Are you talking about European Pinguicula's?
They are too easy! Just take pure sand and wash it several times with rainwater. Keep very wet and sow before winter so that cold period occurs. Seeds will all germinate next spring.
You can also take loam and act the same way or take 'lava' stone and keep it very wet. Put the seeds on and you will have a rock full with Pinguicula's...
Good luck.
Guus; Netherlands

Jonna

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »
Jack, if you are looking for seeds of P. grandiflora and you can't obtain them in the seed exchange, I have some left. Send me a PM or an email if you want seeds.
zone 6 Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »
The charming Wim Boens in Belgium sent me some seed a few years ago of both PP. grandiflora and vulgaris. There was only a single vulgaris germinated (after 2 years!) but it is still alive though very small. Grandiflora has done much better and I have a nice potful, the first flowering this spring. I sowed them all on my usual seed mix with its usual top dressing of grit and the seed sprinkled over it. These did well but those sown on a spaghnum mix got swamped by liverwort almost immediately and the germination even of grandiflora was very poor.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal