We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calochortus 2018  (Read 4740 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Calochortus 2018
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 06:15:30 AM »
Hi Fermi,

If I follow you correctly, the original seed package was labeled Calochortus nuttallii. The plants that sprouted turned out to be a mix of C. luteus and C. superbus (perhaps hybrids).   ???

Anyway they look great.  8)  I enjoy all of the Mariposa type Calochortus. Have you been able to cultivate Calochortus nuttallii successfully?
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 01:49:33 PM »
Hi Robert,
yes, you've got it right - the seed came labelled as Calochortus nuttallii but when they flowered they were a mix of C.luteus and hybrids between it and (presumably) C. superbus.
I got seed of it from Alplains last year but so far only a single seedling,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 03:03:20 PM »
This year the Calochortus that I got as C.clavatus, but is more likely to be a hybrid or plain Calocchortus luteus, is flowering well.
But why do these two flowers look different to each other? Just an age difference - one opened a day before the other?
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
I took a chance and re-ordered Calochortus clavatus ssp clavatus from Hillview's last catalogue and the first bloom looks distinctly different to the ones above so I think it might be true! 8)
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »
Calochortus clavatus ssp recurvifolius from SRGC Seedex 2010.
Actually this does look a lot like the pic I posted above of the one I received under this name but I was told last year that it was more likely to be C. luteus!
Oh dear, if it is then the seed I donated to this year's Seedex is actually Calochortus clavatus ssp recurvifolius!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 02:24:42 PM »
Hi Fermi,

I have only a short time to have a look this a.m.

There looks like there is Calochortus clavatus in the last posting. Remember the Mariposa type Calochortus species can often easily hybridize with each other.

When I have more time, I will take a closer look. Hybrids can be extremely difficult to sort out, especially from photographs. Maybe the person that donated the seed can be contacted. They will know much more about the status of the donated seeds.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 05:05:12 PM »
Hi Fermi,

The last Calochortus does look like a Calochortus clavatus. I just can not tell from the photograph if the hairs are club shaped.  :-\  Unless the donor specified that the flowers were control pollinated, well... it could be a hybrid.

Regardless of their true identity, they are all very beautiful. I would enjoy having them in my garden.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 10:50:59 AM »
Hi Robert,
the hairs do not appear club-shaped in this close up.
I guess it was hybridised in a home garden, but as you say, still worth growing
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

brianw

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 11:15:46 PM »
I have been growing a number of bulbs from seed over recent years and noticed recently that 2 2nd year pots with new shoots at the pot edge are Calochortus. Does this mean they are "runners". None of my others have side edge shoots.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Robert

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 01:28:32 PM »
Hi Brian,

Based on my experience with Calochortus, the shoots at the edge of the pot may or may not be "runners". It is extremely unlikely that the "runners" are from Calochortus bulbs. Personally, I would put the chances at 0%, however I do not claim to know everything. If the plants do turn out to be Calochortus with "runners", i.e. rhizomes, please photograph the plants. My guess is that the "runners" are plants from some other genus or are from bulblets that are formed in the leave axils of some Calochortus species.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 01:42:10 PM »
I wonder if  the  seeds may have been  washed to the side of the pots with watering  and are  so giving the appearance of  having "run" to the side of the pot?  Not the case if you noticed the seedlings "correctly" aligned in the pot in their first year, of course.  Not unknown for  "heavy" watering or  rain to wash seeds  aside though.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 06:55:30 PM »
Checked the obvious way and knocked the soil off the top of one of the pots. Some of the bulbs are no longer upright and apparently reluctant to grow up regardless until they hit the sides. Several growths are snaking in all directions. I must have left them like it when I checked the dormant bulbs last summer.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Robert

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 04:24:27 AM »
Hi Brian,

It sounds like all is well.  :)

I guess it is just the method in which the bulbs are coping with the situation.  8)

Maybe you will get flower this season? or maybe they are still too young?

I would still like to see photographs of the plants when they are in bloom if this is at all possible. For me, it is always pleasant to visit another garden through photographs. For the most part, our native Calochortus species are easy to cultivate, however I learn a great deal from those that grow them in more challenging environments.

Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal