We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: EAST LANCASHIRE AGS SHOW 21st March 2015  (Read 1619 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: EAST LANCASHIRE AGS SHOW 21st March 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 11:45:41 AM »
Cliff et al - it looks as though East Lancs was a pretty good show. The Kent Show had around 500 plants too - quite impressive to have two alpine shows on the same day with so much to see. I think something like 150 people paid to come into the Show - still be nice to get a good number more after seeing how many came to Loughborough a week or two earlier, and there was a lot that people could see - a good display (almost too many?) of photos and artwork and eight nurseries with plants. My feeling: a developing interest in alpines again amongst more gardeners :-\ - but will this get out into growing plants in the garden or will the Shows continue to be much the strongest feature and expression of growing alpine plants? I found myself the evening before talking with growers who mostly garden with these plants and being as a result a little critical of the emphasis on showing, and then the next day coming to the Show and being overawed by the plants exhibited and thinking the other way! A sort of dialectic out of which I have still not managed to really come to any conclusion - probably there isn't one (except that it is wonderful to grow plants well - not necessarily perfectly - in whichever way you do it, and also to encourage others to get involved). Some pictures from the Kent Show to come later as well as Yann's. It was a good day but quite hard work shifting tables and chairs all over the place and clearing up afterwards.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: EAST LANCASHIRE AGS SHOW 21st March 2015
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »
Hi Tim,
We mustn't forget that there was also an excellent show in Scotland on the same day … three wonderful advertisements for our beloved form of gardening, each attracting a glut of interested newcomers, each displaying the art of alpine growing at its very best and each promoting our two amazing and highly regarded clubs (and, by default, our individual local groups).
I suspect that the nurserymen at each of these events are solicited more for good garden plants (by the visitors to the show), than the rarities that they have encountered on the benches?
We all 'garden' in some way or other, but fewer of us grow to show. 
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal