We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cleveland AGS Show held on 4th April 2015  (Read 2134 times)

veteran vet

Re: Cleveland AGS Show held on 4th April 2015
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 07:13:20 PM »
the small six winning plants were
Primula 'Coolock Snowball'
Soldanella carpatica
Saxifraga dinnikii
Dionysia viscidula x freitagii
Dionysia geist
Primula 'Alice Evans' (in the next post)

veteran vet

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 07:19:14 PM »
The last of the winning small six plants
Primula 'Alice Evans'
The main debate of this entry was whether the plants were big enough as none were anywhere nearer the 19cm maximum pot size, the debate was spirited to say the least, mainly around the size of the plants but in the end the quality decided in a positive result.

My last post of pictures, my first try using the SRGC resize machine, seemed it worked ok, will have to look at a few on the site to see how they come over.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »
Thanks for showing the pix, George, really rewarding to be able to see these beauties !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »
Love reading your commentary George, so interesting. I had no idea the Callianthemum I'm growing was unusual. No flowers yet but I'm working on it. Got it in Czech Republic two years ago....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 07:17:13 PM »
Class 85, one for three plants all requiring the same cultural conditions had several entries, one of which was from Alan Furness and I also show his notes as well
Fritillaria tubiformis (84) from George Young
Primula henrici from Peter Hood (83)
Ranunculus crithmifolius, unfortunately I did not get the exhibitor but I think was Don Peace. Is one of my favourites, sadly lost my plant a few years ago and no seed germinated (still have the pot though, ever hopefull)

Seeing the cultivation notes alongside photographs of these lovely plants, the Celmisia spp., is invaluable. I think they might do well here in the Western Isles. Will have to do some research and keep an eye out for a small species that might take to trough culture. Thanks George.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 07:32:55 PM »
Matt, I'll see what I can do about some wee cuttings for you of likely trough subjects.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
Ooh, Maggi! You're a treasure  :-*
Matt Topsfield

veteran vet

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »
Love reading your commentary George, so interesting. I had no idea the Callianthemum I'm growing was unusual. No flowers yet but I'm working on it. Got it in Czech Republic two years ago....
Chris you might find you have friends you did not know you had if you have that one in your care

veteran vet

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
Seeing the cultivation notes alongside photographs of these lovely plants, the Celmisia spp., is invaluable. I think they might do well here in the Western Isles. Will have to do some research and keep an eye out for a small species that might take to trough culture. Thanks George.
I can recommend Celmisia gracilenta for troughs. Margaret and Henry Taylor gave me a bit some years ago that they grew in a trough and a scree in their garden and I put it in a trough where it has steadily and daintily spread into a small loose clump and flowers with lovely small white daisies each year. I have tried it in a pot but never got it to survive, also tried cross pollination with another celmisia but no joy. I know the Aberconwy nursery sells gracilenta, not quite as dwarf as the Taylor one but I would be pretty certain would do in a trough. If you are at Edinburgh on Saturday seek out Alan Furness who will be there, he has a garden full of different celmisia, large and small.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 05:28:50 PM »
That's a helpful recommendation and I will look out for that species, it sounds lovely, thanks George. Unfortunately I can't make it to the Edinburgh show this year. I used to live in the windy city and the show there is one I would usually attend as an opportunity to catch up with old pals etc. I just can't justify the cost of travelling there this year. I'll hope to catch up with Alan Furness and his Celmisia collection another time. Cheers, M
Matt Topsfield

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal