We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2016 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 7641 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: January 2016 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2016, 09:00:09 AM »
We are forecast to reach 29c here on Wednesday Jamus so I'll be taking the day off and seeking the shade ....    8) 8) ...Typically the weather starts to improve after our visitors ,(daughter and her partner), returned to the UK yesterday...... ::)

Flowering in the sand crevice bed is a dwarf form of Gentiana septemfida  .

On the edge of the sand bed a Campanula ,(name unknown--any idea Lesley ?),that has filled it's small concrete trough and is seeking new pastures .I'll have to careful it doesn't escape as it will be too exuberant in its growth for the cushions /mats nearby like Saxifragas and Raoulias .

In the process of moving a good sized clump of Roscoea auriculata last season I took a small growth and planted it elsewhere .Unfortunately I forgot where I placed the smaller plant and It's come up between some stepping stones of a path I constructed in winter ...... Duh ! ;D.

The almost orchid like flowers of Tricyrtis have such yummy fascinating patterns .Here's the first flowering of T. latifolia raised from seed ....

Cheers Dave.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:24:38 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2016, 10:04:06 AM »

Stunning plants Dave, I wish I could grow Gentians. They hang on and hang on and then for no apparent reason fade and die. Your Tricyrtis is beautiful... I love their spotty blotchy patterning. I am yet to try them here, believe it or not. I must rectify that.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2016, 12:45:38 PM »
Hi Dave,
that's a tricyrtis I've never seen before - stunning!
The recent rains here have triggered a few amaryllids:
Lycoris incarnata x 2
Habranthus martinezii x 3
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2016, 03:49:25 PM »
All beautiful and interesting plants from the Southern H - thanks to all for posting  :) Some days is hard to get around the fact that I'm watching a 'live show' of
species that will flower here starting June and forward!
An especially lovely dwarf form of Gentiana septemfida.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal