We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 12246 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: August 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2015, 04:40:44 AM »
Robert, the Mono Lake area has always been on my bucket list of places to explore.  It seems to be a unique area and I've heard that the Fabaceae is well represented there. Have you been there?  And photographed?

Astragalus,

Yes, I have been to the Mono Lake area many, many times, mostly when I was a bit younger. I have only been there once in the last 10 years and I did not bring my camera at that time.

The good news is Mono Lake is only a 3 hour drive from the farm. I definitely have ideas to visit this area. Also, I am familiar enough with the area to know where to go to avoid the popular locations. When visiting the popular locations one sees the same stuff. If one wants to see new and exciting species it is necessary to travel on the obscure dirt roads and hike in roughed terrain where there are no trails. Trusting ones instincts is important too. Now, I always trust my intuition when doing horticultural-botany and it always pays off.

Good luck on your visit to the area whenever that may be. There is so much to see, I am sure you will not regret your visit.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal