We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The adventure of bulb growing in rodent and deer infested SW Oregon  (Read 690 times)

amateuranthecologist

• The amateur anthecologist blog
Hi,

Rodents eat all my Alliums, deer eat everything aboveground. Yet I love growing bulbs! I wrote a little about it here:

http://amateuranthecologist.blogspot.com/2015/09/bulbs.html

I'm highly inspired by Ian and Margret Young, their garden, and the Bulb Log.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: The adventure of bulb growing in rodent and deer infested SW Oregon
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 04:34:41 PM »
Ah, that familiar fury of the gardener against the marauding plant scoffer.  Where mild-mannered growers become would-be assassins, foaming at the mouth in rage....... all too familiar to most of us, Travis!

Ian and I are grateful that at least no deer can access our back-yard - and the front is too near the road for the occasional passing deer to be a problem.
I suppose it does give us a challenge to face - which is meant to be good for us!!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

John85

Re: The adventure of bulb growing in rodent and deer infested SW Oregon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 07:44:53 PM »
Hello
May be your bulb cages will be efficient in Oregon, but from experience I can tell they would not do the job in my garden.
Young rodents went through the holes and I had to go for 1/4" mesh.Also a top is compulsory.I guess American mice are as clever ad European ones!!!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal