We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African high altitude Alpines and Bulbs growing in Northern Hemisphere  (Read 3439 times)

Darren

Here is my Moraea alpina picture from back in 2012. It still does well for me and I'm very fond of it. My plants came from Ian Christie who told me it grows well for him too. I still have the higher res picture on the Mac somewhere.

I do grow a lot of other Drakensberg bulbs such as Moraeas huttonii, alticola, spathulata. Albuca humilis, Gladiolus flanaganii and others but for some reason I haven't ever taken photographs of them.

Surprised I forgot to mention Gladiolus pumilio as is is rather invasive here and I dug out a metre wide patch threatening to swamp my Epipactis palustris last spring. It was nearly back to that size again by September. It isn't even very attractive with its very long floppy stems that always seem to bend almost to touch the ground enforce the flowers open.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Darren

Hello Julia and Darren I am posting another picture of Moraea  alpine  full  size pic anytime cheers Ian the Christie kind

Lovely to see that Ian. I always worry about it getting swamped if I planted it out so I keep mine in a frame but it produced seed last year and I hope to have enough to experiment with, perhaps in a trough.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

François Lambert

Depending on what is defined as 'high altitude', I have good experience with Eucomis : Bicolor (in SA grows up to 2.400 m), Comosa (in SA grows up to 2.800 m) & Pallidiflora (in SA highest location I have read about 1.800 m).
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

ArnoldT

I've had Eucomis bicolor outdoors here in Northern New Jersey for ten years.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Tristan_He

Julia, obviously there's a list as long as your arm of South African plants grown in the northern hemisphere, though as Francois pointed out above the definition of 'high altitude' might cut it down a bit. I wonder if it might help if you could share what you have already sent the authors? Also do they have a list of species in cultivation that they are looking for photos of? And are photos of garden hybrids of interest (I'm thinking of genera like Kniphofia, Crocosmia, Agapanthus and Dierama in particular)

Best, Tristan

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal