We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: breaking up a clump weakens plants?  (Read 1244 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
breaking up a clump weakens plants?
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:50:49 AM »
Last year I broke up a potted clump of what I think is Spindlestone Surprise and planted the bulbs separately
under a spruce.

This year they emerged very late and have been just sitting not doing much.  Is this to be expected?  Anything I should do?

Here is a photo.  Of course, the elwesii is always bigger. 

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Tristan_He

Re: breaking up a clump weakens plants?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:56:52 AM »
Were they in growth when you planted them out Diane?

There will be a long-term gain because the bulbs have more space, but there can be a bit of a setback due to disturbance. Maybe the yellow 'drops are a bit slower to re-establish?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 07:59:50 AM »
I think you should move them.  Snowdrops do not grow well under conifers; I imagine because they get too dry in summer.   
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »
Personally I would give them a slow release feed, mark their positions and move them when the foliage has died down, before the new root growth (which is normally late June onwards).  That way you are not in danger of breaking any of the simple roots which will never recover.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 04:35:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I will nourish them, then find them a better home, or maybe two homes.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

alant

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »
Diane

I have never had any trouble with splitting up this snowdrop.  If I lift them 'in the green' I carefully wash off the soil so I don't damage any roots.  Unlike some snowdrops, Spindleston Surprise does likes a bit of leaf mould mixed into the soil. 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal