We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crinum seed wanted  (Read 1784 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
Crinum seed wanted
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:56:57 AM »
Hi, I was wondering, (and almost desparate), if any member on this forum could please help me with aquiring some Milk and Wine Crinum seed (Crinum scabrum) for trade or payment.
I would love to grow this beautiful plant,which is not available in New Zealand, as far as I know.
I grow a large collection of many bulbous genera, but this is one genus/plant  I would like to add to my other Crinum species collection.
I would prefer seed, because importing bulbs, corms or tubers into New Zealand is almost impossible with all the strict rules and regulations imposed by our MAF border authorities. ( to much hassle )
Seed as a rule is mostly approved/permitted to be imported into New Zealand.
No need to say that I am always more than happy to return the favour with seed from our large collection of bulbs.
Look forward (if available) to the replies.
Thanks, Bill
PS: I believe, this is the right time in the NH for Crinums to produce seeds?
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
Re: Crinum seed wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
I got some c. scabrum seed from:

http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/

Onalee's Home Grown Seeds

They were excellent. I did have to go on a waiting list. It is the sort of seed that may start growing before it reaches you. They can have two availability windows in a year.

I also got some from ebay. I managed to kill that with the "coldest winter in 30 years". Seems that the bulbs at least for some versions need to be kept frost free. In the ground they probably would have been OK, stuck on the top shelf in the greenhouse they were not.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Bulbophilos

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:01:44 PM »
Dear Bill,

I will have C. scabrum seeds next spring (or early summer). If you are willing to wait, I can send some seeds to you.

Kind Regards!
Marcondes de Resende in Minas Gerais, Southeast Brazil
1100m Köppen Cwb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:03:25 PM »
Crinum scabrum is not on our Biosecurity Index.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »
http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/
Onalee's Home Grown Seeds
I also got some from ebay. I managed to kill that with the "coldest winter in 30 years". Seems that the bulbs at least for some versions need to be kept frost free. In the ground they probably would have been OK, stuck on the top shelf in the greenhouse they were not.

Thanks David for that info, (and other forum members) will have a look at Onalee's Home Grown Seeds Website and perhaps a eBay.  
Cheers, Bill
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:00:05 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Dave704

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »
Did you get the Milk & Wine seed you wanted?  I have a large clump that originated from a 150+ year old clump on a farm in Pageland, SC USA.  I have had them for about 25 years.  I just red your request and checked that I have no seed.  The plants are dead to ground level now.  I would be glad to dig you a few bulbs as they are dormint now, or seeds in the spring.  Let me know.
Dave

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal