We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: RHS London Spring Plant Extravaganza  (Read 1652 times)

Margaret

RHS London Spring Plant Extravaganza
« on: April 02, 2016, 08:47:46 PM »

A friend and I went to the London RHS show today expecting to get in free with our membership as usual. We were horrified to be charged £9.00 entry.  Their website page only mentions ticket prices for members at the bottom of the page which is misleading. I believe we weren't  the only ones unhappy. 

The main hall did not have that many visitors and so we were able to enjoy the beautiful exhibits without any jostling. The nurseries can't have been too pleased about the lack of customers, though we managed a fair haul. :)  The Orchid Show was held in the small hall across the road and was packed with people buying exotic beauties. A wonderful display.

Sorry about the poor pics from my phone
Margaret
Greenwich

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: RHS London Spring Plant Extravaganza
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »
I've read about this on Twitter- where it was said that RHS members were walking away rather than pay the entrance fee  (said there to be £12- but perhaps that was for  non-members?)
 Also said there on T.  that there were fewer exhibitors than usual - which given the cost of mounting an exhibit in London doesn't surprise me.   Non of which goes to make members or exhibitors happy  - one does wonder what the RHS  is thinking with these  measures.  "gardening for all" ?  I don't think so.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:07:04 PM »
An other nail in the coffin for London Shows. It shocked me to find I had to pay £9 before I could enter the normally free show, as an RHS member. And the hall was not even full with exhibitors; the centre on the new hall consisted of some trees in sacking bags and a few metal chairs where you could eat your sandwiches. I wonder if there is a reason to maintain membership in the long term now the London shows are no longer free, and so few in number. Exhibitors were none too happy either.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Margaret

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 10:40:25 PM »

We are also considering letting our memberships lapse after today. There have been fewer London Shows in recent years and several of my favourite nurseries no longer attend because it was not worth while.  It would not have been so distressing if we had known about the admission charge before travelling. We might have stayed at home! On page 4 of the 2016 Members' Handbook it still says that there is free entry to the RHS London Shows. Very misleading.
Margaret
Greenwich

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 12:27:09 AM »
I was debating whether it was worth attending any more London shows. Now I definitely won't bother.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

SteveC2

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »
Of course on the other hand, those of us who are RHS members and only attend the orchid show might ask why we have had to pay for years and yet you get into the gardening shows for free? ; ;D

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 11:38:34 PM »
I hope Forumists are also making their feelings known to the RHS directly.
We stopped being members when they decided to stop sending seed to non-EU members!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal