We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helping other societies  (Read 1218 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Helping other societies
« on: April 04, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
For the last few years East Lancs. AGS group has been putting on a display at Ramsbottom Horticultural Society's April Show. We empty our greenhouse and borrow plants from fellow members yesterday we had plants from Bob Worsley and John Dower. The display shows other growers a different side to horticulture, it also garners us extra visitors to our AGS Show.

They like to encourage their youngsters to join in and exhibit in the Junior sections. One class is for a miniature garden and another for an animal sculpture.  There is fierce competition in these classes and all entrants whether they win or not get a medal at the prize giving.

I thought you might like to see.  Also a lovely plant of Rebutia albiflora which I could have tucked under my coat, it was in the House Plant in flower section.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Helping other societies
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
Rest of the pics.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:49:47 PM »
Such fun, Shelagh, to see the  vegetable animals especially.  Too good to eat!
Great idea to be involved wherever possible with other organisations - it's something  lots of SRGC groups too, as well as the main club's  support of others, at home and abroad.

This very morning  permission has been given by the SRGC Editor to share an article from a recent issue of "The Rock Garden" with a  charitable  group in Essex who are renovating a rock garden for their area.
I cannot understand why other  organistions do not get involved in such sharing of  information etc.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
Such fun, Shelagh, to see the  vegetable animals especially.  Too good to eat!
Great idea to be involved wherever possible with other organisations - it's something  lots of SRGC groups too, as well as the main club's  support of others, at home and abroad.

This very morning  permission has been given by the SRGC Editor to share an article from a recent issue of "The Rock Garden" with a  charitable  group in Essex who are renovating a rock garden for their area.
I cannot understand why other  organistions do not get involved in such sharing of  information etc.

I couldn't agree more.

Great to involve the youngsters too. I suspect most gardening societies need some young blood and encouraging them at and early age is a good way forward.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »
Well done, Brian and Shelagh … many thanks for representing the East Lancs AGS Group so well over the years.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 03:32:30 PM »
Not SRGC but a few pictures  of the children's section at the Caley show in Edinburgh Botanics last weekend. Using a separate area to the main show allows  a range of activities  as well as the display of bulbs in pots- six pots per school.  The picture  of  the little girl  is from the previous year and was then used by her local paper. This morning  some of the East Lothian bulbs were  planted out though not by the children  who are on holiday.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:38:02 PM by Stan da Prato »

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 04:50:15 PM »
Terrific Stan.  More budding alpinists. Annew beware you will soon have competition ;)
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal