We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helichrysum pagophilum  (Read 1265 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Helichrysum pagophilum
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »
Hello...i have a question about Helichrysum pagophyllum. Has anyone of you in the portifolio? For me,  it grows very well but it has never bloomed.

What am i doing wrong?

Greetings and thanks
Thomas
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:50:43 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Helichrysum pagophyllum
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 09:55:30 PM »
I've never seen flowers on this plant, Thomas - and I'm not sure it does flower in cultivation. When seen at Shows it is usually in the foliage classes.
While it is often named as H. pagophyllum, I believe the correct spelling (as per Kew Plant List)  is Helichrysum pagophilum.

The only times I have seen flowers on the plant have been in photos from the wild. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
Re: Helichrysum pagophilum
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 10:28:51 PM »
A lovely mound of tight, silvery foliage. I guess everyone is propagation it by cuttings then if no flowers?
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Re: Helichrysum pagophyllum
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:48:23 PM »
I've never seen flowers on this plant, Thomas - and I'm not sure it does flower in cultivation. When seen at Shows it is usually in the foliage classes.
While it is often named as H. pagophyllum, I believe the correct spelling (as per Kew Plant List)  is Helichrysum pagophilum.

The only times I have seen flowers on the plant have been in photos from the wild.

Maggi...thanks for the quick response and the correction of spelling. So everything is fine with H. pagophillum.

There are indeed some Alpine need several years to flowers. If, for example, after seven years this spring Hebe tetrasticha.

Regards Thomas 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal