We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Greenhouse insulation  (Read 1066 times)

John85

Greenhouse insulation
« on: November 19, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »

Bubble plastic is often used but it reduces the amount of light available for the plants.
In commercial greenhouses thermal ,often with aluminium woven in it for better reflexion,are used instead.
They are rolled over the plants automatically at dusk and taken off at dawn.
I wonder if some forumists use them and what are the results compared with bubble plastic.

Dionysia

Re: Greenhouse insulation
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »
Depends what you want to grow. Unless we get any silly temperatures, say under -10c for a sustained period, then I wouldn't use any. It is noticeable that when we don't have a period of cold winter weather flowering is more sporadic.
The only drawback is that condensation in the morning can be heavy. I use a Kärcher window vac to remove this every morning. Time consuming admittedly but well worth the effort.
Paul
 in Chippenham

John85

Re: Greenhouse insulation
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 12:23:29 PM »
The aim is to keep the greenhouse frost free without the use of any fuel or electricity only with the use of a lot of thermal mass (water barrels)
Temperature drops till -8°c in winter sometimes .

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal