We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Besseya wyomingensis  (Read 3053 times)

SueG

Besseya wyomingensis
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
I've just germinated seed of this and wondered if anyone had advice on how to grow them on?
Thanks
Sue
PS you've just got to warm to a plant called kitten tails - I mean, who thinks up these names ;D
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

anne gibson

Re: Besseya wyomingensis
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:14:38 PM »
i cannot help you with how to grow it on as i bought mine at a nursery.
i had it in a shady spot planted out for a while and it did not do well despite trying to keep it moist . i asked advice from the grower when i next saw him and he said he had lost all of his! so i was pleased with myself for keeping it alive for a few years :)
i was advised to keep it quite damp and i have it  in a pot standing in a  tray with sand in  a few inches of water. i keep it in the shade.
how ever i haven't flowered it yet but it looks reasonably happy and has come back inot growth this year.
by the way i bought mine because my dog's name is bess-so how daft a reason is that! i'm now after primula bessie gibson for the same reason  ;D
good luck anne
horticulturally challenged

Derbyshire, UK.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »
Hi Sue,
I have Bessya seedlings that have survived quite happily into their third season now....they are, of course, very slow but look remarkably healthy (the kiss of death) and are being grown in an open frame (i.e. open at the side all year) and are only watered when I remember. No flowers yet...I would anticipate two or three more seasons in our cold, damp summers...they would probably appreciate much warmer and lighter conditions than I can supply here in 'arctic' East Lancashire. Good luck, they are certainly worth any amount of effort!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

anne gibson

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:22:49 AM »
i have to correct myself  :-[ (and move my plant !)according to the Alpine Encyclopedia Besseya should be kept in moist acid soil in full sun. Maybe i can cut back on the water a bit too if Cliffs are doing well with less.
horticulturally challenged

Derbyshire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
We grow Besseya ritteriana.... it is coming into leaf at the moment... it is a rather boring plant, much less attractive than the "pet" dandelion which Ian tends alongside it. It is one of our raised beds, made from concrete 3 ft by 2 foot slabs, and has perfect drainage and a good exposure to sun, or what passes for that in  Scotland!! I'll get a photo tomorrow.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
Sorry, a day late with promised pic of Besseya ritteriana... only foliage at present.
A close  view of the leaves and then a comparision pic with Ian's pet dandelion, which lives beside it.
I'll see if I can find a pic of the flowers.... they might also be described as "kitten tails", I suppose, if the tail of the kitten is dull offwhite and not at all soft and fluffy!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal