We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Miniature tufa garden  (Read 1142 times)

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Miniature tufa garden
« on: April 16, 2015, 06:35:37 AM »
I'm hoping to make a miniature tufa garden, suitable for AGS /SRGC shows. Would readers recommend a single piece of tufa, as per my photograph, or multiple pieces of tufa to create more crevices? Would a single piece need cementing to the base of the pot?. also the best method of watering the plants in the tufa, do you water from the top and the water percolate downwards or water individual plants?

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Miniature tufa garden
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 07:33:29 AM »
Both methods work very well, Lawrence, but you can create more useful habitats with multiple pieces of tufa, though these may require cementing together to build up the required height within the garden. A single piece of tufa (as illustrated in your images) will require drilling to create the necessary planting pockets and these pockets will always work better when smaller plants or seedlings are introduced.  The cracks and crevices of a multiple piece garden can take slightly more mature plants.
I know most miniature gardeners simply leave their creations outside in all kinds of weather so watering occurs naturally.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
Here two of my mini tuf (garden). On the pole I made in spring 2016. On the scale this spring. In warm weather, spray water every day, just with the nice sprayer.
You are never to old to learn.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:31:53 PM »
I've opted for the "several tufa stones" construction Lawrence.  Now 6 years old, it's planted with many Saxes on the shaded side and several diverent species on the sunny side.

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ian mcdonald

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »
In the 1980s I found quite a number of pieces of Tufa on a friends farm. I tried to earn him some pocket money by selling the pieces but the demand was poor. They would have been an ideal size for miniature displays but people wanted them delivered. This would have made the charge too much, including transport.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 01:11:10 PM »
Lovely jobs Luc and Jan. Wish I could get hold of some tufa that size.........delivered of course :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »
Very nice compositions, Luc.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal