We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: G.’Colesborne’  (Read 1444 times)

David Lowndes

G.’Colesborne’
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
Does anyone grow this. I have in a pot and it is flowering now. According to Bishop et al it is difficult, they call it a ‘feeble,elderly beauty’. I am wondering how best to cultivate it in the open garden. Good drainage and shelter presumably. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:16:27 AM by David Lowndes »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: G.’Colesborne’
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
Hello David, unfortunately I do not have this, but I think it can help if you chip the bulb next May/June.  Although you would be without it for the next couple of years if you cut it into six you wouldn't have too long for them to grow to flowering size and then could try it in two or three areas and keep one in a pot just in case!

PS it looks like you might have an offset anyway so you could chip it and still be able to enjoy the flower!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Lowndes

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
Thanks Brian
Good idea. You’re right about the offset.

steve owen

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »
I acquired a bulb of Colesborne ten years ago and each year it delivers a single flower with no apparent interest in bulking up.
Three years ago I planted a second bulb elsewhere in the garden and now there is a clump of a dozen flowering plants. I have absolutely no idea what might be the rhyme and reason for this disparity. Incidentally my Colesborne never flower before February so yours is very early indeed.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

David Lowndes

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »
Thanks for that Steve; very interesting. I have only had mine for a year and it is in a pot. It was in a cold frame for most of the autumn so that might explain the early flowering. It does have an offset so I’m hopeful of a little vigour.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal