We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African seeds  (Read 1198 times)

GordonT

South African seeds
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:04:57 PM »
I am considering ordering seed from South Africa, and need some advice.What would be the sowing recommendation for seed ordered now from South Africa which notes "Sow in Autumn" ? These are some of the plants I am considering for my order: Babiana dregei, fourcadei, fragrans, Daubenya aurea, Ixia viridiflora, Lachenalia orchioides, quadricolor, viridiflora, Lapeirousia oreogena. I was interested in Moraea aristata, and gigandra, but they appear to have sold out at the moment.

If I order now, do I sow now, or wait until autumn in the northern hemisphere. The other question is how should the seeds be stored if it is advisable to wait.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: South African seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

GordonT

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »
Thank you Maggi! As always, you are a wizard of the forum... I probably should try using the search feature before posting a question! Temp today is -4c and cloudy... Tomorrow is forecast to rise to +10 C accompanied by a deluge!
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 08:38:42 PM »
Hello Gordon,

Yes, these are all thinks I would sow now my autumn coming up with the proviso that it would be smart to protect them from winter cold. Many, including the lachenalias will germinate in a short time and I lost a lot a couple of years ago from frost a few weeks later. Most South Africans do well in New Zealand but at my cooler end of the country some are marginal outside. So whatever Maggi's link suggests is probably the way to go.

Your seeds are on the way. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:55:08 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal