We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Petunia patagonica  (Read 1206 times)

Jan Jeddeloh

Petunia patagonica
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:09:19 AM »
I managed to score six seeds of this rarity from the AGS seed ex.  Anyone have any suggestions how to germinate it?  My gut tells me to try half in my alpine house and half inside in warm.  Every other petunia germinates in warm conditions so maybe this one will too? 

Thoughts?

Jan Jeddeloh
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Petunia patagonica
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 04:11:38 PM »
Martin Sheader  may be your best advisor for this species, Jan.   Hope he sees this!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 02:34:44 AM »
It was in the seeds collected in gardens section, so let's hope the person
who donated it will respond.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:41:44 AM »
Well in answer to my own question Petunia patagonica is apparently a warm germinator just like it's non hardy brethren.  I sowed two of the seed on peat pellets the way I often sow seeds of tiny seed.  I take a plastic shoe box or similar, put the pellets in, pour in boiling water and slap the lid on so the whole mess sterilizes, more or less.  Works like charm for fern spores, ramonda etc. After I've sown the seed I put the box under lights inside. The two petunia seed germinated in about a week with this treatment. I now plan to move the other pot in from the greenhouse.  I don't think I'll keep the newly germinating seed in long because it's probably too warm long term but at least I seem to have conquered the germination hurdle.
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal