We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tian Shan poppy identification  (Read 1266 times)

Rob-Rah

Tian Shan poppy identification
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »
Hi all,

In 2016 I visited Kyrgyzstan and found an interesting poppy in the mountains. Superficially it resembles Papaver nudicaule, which does grow in the region. I have attached a few photos of what I take to be P. nudicaule in Kyrgyzstan by way of comparison, which grew in rockier, drier places.

The plant I am interested in differs in having consistently very long spindly flower stems (two feet long) which are not elongated due to lack of light (the plant only grew in full sun), and which are always green. P. nudicaule is often suffsued pinkish in full sun. The plant preferred moist soils and humid conditions alongside rivers and mossy rock faces. The flowers are far more star-shaped than typical P. nudicaule. The leaves were clustered at ground level, never forming the kind of "clump" of P. nudicaule. It was locally very common in the mountains and valleys immediately north of Lake Issyk Kul.

I took some seed of the plant with me, and still have a few growing in pots. It appears noticeably more ephemeral than P. nudicaule, which persists as a perennial reliably. This plant instead behaved mostly as an annual for me, with only a few plants into their second year now. I've not managed to self the remaining plants yet, but I am hoping that they may persist long enough to do so. My cultivated plants are weak - I think they need true alpine conditions to thrive.

So..... based on all this and the photos attached, does anyone know what this poppy is?

Rob-Rah

Re: Tian Shan poppy identification
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 10:40:25 AM »
And now the unknown poppy itself:

Rob-Rah

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »
Last pics of unknown poppy....

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 08:29:24 PM »
Rob

When I first viewed I thought P. croceum (yes, a synonym) but you may wish to view http://www.plantarium.ru/page/search.html?part=1&sample=Papaver

Hope that helps

Frazer
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 09:04:56 PM »
Perhaps a Dicranostigma ?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:07:29 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rob-Rah

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »
Perhaps a Dicranostigma ?

Hard to tell, but it looks like they are all maultiflowered per flower stem and the stem is frequently with some residual leaves - this one is always one long smooth spindly stem and one flower at the top.

Rob-Rah

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 12:09:38 PM »
Rob

When I first viewed I thought P. croceum (yes, a synonym) but you may wish to view http://www.plantarium.ru/page/search.html?part=1&sample=Papaver

Hope that helps

Frazer

I don't think its one of those either. The habit of the leaves is different: the plant always has more-or-less ground-hugging leaves which don't form a bushy base really. Plants in the wild amongst grass were invisible unless flowering as the leaves stayed almost flat to the ground. It gave the impression of just very long elegant flowerscapes coming straight out of the ground unless you went looking very carefully for the leaves. I wish I had taken better photos..... I wouldn't labour the id so much unless it had been as beautiful as it really was in person!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal