We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium identification help please.  (Read 1366 times)

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
Erythronium identification help please.
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
I would be grateful for opinions on the identification of the following plant. I think it might be a form of Erythronium grandiflorum. It is a rather small plant, the flower is on the small side and the pollen/anthers/stigma are a glistening white. Despite the small stature of my plant there are 3 buds on the flower stem. Unfortunately I have no information on the provenance of this plant.

WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Erythronium identification help please.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 11:21:03 PM »
I would be grateful for opinions on the identification of the following plant. I think it might be a form of Erythronium grandiflorum. It is a rather small plant, the flower is on the small side and the pollen/anthers/stigma are a glistening white. Despite the small stature of my plant there are 3 buds on the flower stem. Unfortunately I have no information on the provenance of this plant.

Steve, it is a beautiful Erythronium!
Stigma is not trilobed, so I doubt for the name Erythronium grandiflorum. Maybe a hybrid from grandiflorum and purpurascens
Belgium

Steve Garvie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 05:57:03 PM »
Many thanks Herman.
Unfortunately the images above don’t give a good view of the stigma. I’ve included two more images below which show a trifid stigma (forgive the poor quality -they were taken on an ipad in the rain).

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 06:08:07 PM »
Many thanks Herman.
Unfortunately the images above don’t give a good view of the stigma. I’ve included two more images below which show a trifid stigma (forgive the poor quality -they were taken on an ipad in the rain).
Steve, then it is maybe Erythronium grandiflorum var. pallidum
Belgium

Steve Garvie

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:54:36 AM »
Steve, then it is maybe Erythronium grandiflorum var. pallidum

Many thanks Herman! I think you’ve nailed it.

It’s a small, young bulb that is flowering for the first time so I suspect the flowers will get larger in future years. Now if only it would clump up.........

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal