We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moles!  (Read 1488 times)

David Lowndes

Moles!
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:55:12 PM »
OK, my beautiful new raised bed for special snowdrops, complete with volcanic dust and added a Trichoderma, has acquired a mole.  This morning THREE varieties had been excavated. So I rushed out and came back with a sonic vibrator (not that sort!) and anti mole granules which have now been deployed.  I don’t think this will be the end of it!  Does anyone have experience of this? I prefer not to kill them but will if I have to. Is it even legal to kill moles?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Moles!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 10:22:22 PM »
Our last garden was not very overlooked and I used a "natural remedy" to deter a mole when it arrived therein.  This seemed to work; you can usually find the hole through which the earth was pushed-up to form the molehill and I aimed for that.  I have some sympathy for moles as they only cause collateral damage and the earth from the molehills is very fine and can be useful to the gardener.   
Almost in Scotland.

Susan W

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 12:37:28 AM »
Have had many issues with moles as we are surrounded by fields. My snowdrops are in aquatic baskets and the moles circumnavigate around the pots without causing problems to the bulbs. Are your bulbs planted just into the soil, if so this might be a solution. Where there is one more will follow!!

David Lowndes

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 07:42:21 AM »
Thanks both.  This morning there were three new hills - all adjacent to the sonic vibrator.  But they were small and half hearted - perhaps the mole got a headache and lost enthusiasm.  I have used the “natural method “ very successfully with delinquent badgers and will add it to the mole arsenal.  I have some baskets and now is a good time to replant sone of the more precious varieties but it is new topsoil and still quite loose (free-draining).
These snowdrops are nothing but trouble!

David Lowndes

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 08:07:13 AM »
I’ve just discovered that Prague Spring has been sprung!

David Lowndes

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »
It’s gone.  All drops in tact. I think it was a combination of methods. 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal