We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: medium for alpines  (Read 1186 times)

John85

medium for alpines
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
Usually a mix of 50% grit and 50% loam is recommended
But it makes the large pots very heavy
I wonder if you use another mix that is free draining and yet moisture retentive

Dionysia

Re: medium for alpines
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 12:50:30 PM »
Depends what you want to grow but replace much of the grit with perlite, pumice and Seramis. The good news is they're all lighter, the bad is that they are all expensive and pumice is difficult to source although Ikea apparently sell it for hydroponic use. The pumice and Seramis also retain moisture whilst still being free draining. Seramis is molar clay mined mostly on the continent and a cheaper alternative is Sophisticat pink cat litter and Tesco low dust lightweight cat litter which are produced from it. Don't use any other types as it will bind together which is exactly the opposite of what you want. Personally I rarely use more than 10-20% loam/JI but again it all depends what you are growing.
Paul
 in Chippenham

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »
Coarse Perlte, Sophisticat pink cat litter and pumice is what I use and anything from fifth to half by volume is loam depending on what I am growing.
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

John85

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 04:37:15 PM »
What about beads of expanded clay?They are light, easy to find here and cheaper specially if you buy the smaller ones
I wonder if chipped and sieved bark (4 /6 mm) would work for the not too difficult ones

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 06:08:17 PM »
John, I assume you are talking about LECA, Lightweight expanded clay aggregate, and yes it will do the same.  Not sure about the chipped and sieve bark, does it not break down.
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
Since we find it hard to get leaf mold we use sieved composted bark for anything of a woodland nature and ferns.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

John85

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »
A gardener advised me to use crushed old roof tiles  instead of grit.Not very lighter but it is free and retains a bit of water.
Has anyone tried this?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 05:34:03 PM »
Would it be right to say, had I spent ages reducing all these roof tiles to grit, that
I’d be shattered?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

John85

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 10:35:08 AM »
It would be right to say you have time to waste.You don't have to be very ingenious to find an easy and quick way to do it.I drove my car a few times over it.Job done in 5 minutes for the price of not even half a liter of petrol!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »
It would be right to say you have time to waste.You don't have to be very ingenious to find an easy and quick way to do it.I drove my car a few times over it.Job done in 5 minutes for the price of not even half a liter of petrol!

:o ::)
 ;D ;D ;D   Lateral thinking!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal